Author Topic: Need help  (Read 3047 times)

Mark Heron

• View Profile
Need help
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:01:10 pm »
My dad recently passed away and I have been cleaning out his home, this vase has been in our family at least 50 years. While I was cleaning the appraiser for my dad's home said this was an expensive vase, I have no knowledge of antiques and was wondering if someone could help. The makes on the bottom are the only ID makings I see on the vase. Thanks in advance.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:17 am »
That has the look of Roseville ..... or maybe Weller.

One needs to see a picture of and/or know the type of flower(s) on it instead of a picture of the leaves.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:14:24 am »
What are the dimensions (height and width)?  It's definitely from the Arts & Crafts period.  Usually, I thought, Weller or Roseville had their marks cast right into the pottery.  Possibily, the very old pottery didn't?  Are there any cracks, chips or repairs?  It's a very nice looking vase.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:01:41 am »
http://www.roseville-pottery.net/roseville-pottery-patterns.htm

Pattern:    Roseville Luffa
Year Introduced:    1934
Standard Colors:    Brown, green
Typical Markings:    Paper/foil label or unmarked, some marked with shape number in crayon
Popularity:    Average
Availability:    Below average

http://www.justartpottery.com/pottery_group.asp?id=2

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:32:37 am »
Atta go, Sapphire.

I checked my 1995 Roseville book and it lists a price for the 7" vase @ $125.00 - $175.00

One would have to adjust that figure for 14 years of inflation.  ;D ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:15 am »
inflation adjustment. average's 10% percent a year.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:53 am »
Something that costs $175.00 in 1995, per my inflation calculator, would be worth would be worth $244.95 at the end of 2008.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:00:11 pm »
You guys are killing me. About ten years ago, while paring down a lot of the stuff handed on to me from my mother and aunt........and knowing absolutely zip about the 'value' of any of the items .....I handed over two Roseville jardiniers, Bleeding Heart pattern, to an antique collector for $15 a piece.  :'(

Mark Heron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:55:40 pm »
Wow thanks so much for the help, 1 more question and I will stop wearing out my wecome. My dad had this tea pot as well, he had cups and saucers with it. Can anyone help identify?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:15:36 pm »
      Pretty cool stuff, and you will not wear out you welcome.  I would like to see a better pic of the hallmark if possible, or can you make out anywords, looks pretty smudged.  Looks like a coffee pot instead of a tea pot, based on the shape.  What is the Height?.   Looks pretty early 20th century to me kinda Art Novea or Deco era, except for the squared off shape of the handle.  Also has a wonderful artwork, Crane Motifs are pretty popular.  Which make me scratch my head a bit when I see a coffee pot with asian motif.  Basically I'm saying that this should have good to great value just based on that appearance and unique look. 

Sapphire, sure I'm going to have a couple like that too, See something here that makes you say, wish I would of kept that one.  And by the way you rule at this searching stuff,  Just had to say that.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:31:00 pm »
Don't know if these will help or not . Mark could you take a shot of the whole bottom?

Ironlord, thanks for the compliment.  Again....I know absolutely nothing about antiques except that they have always be a part of our household in everyday use and most passed along from family members.  The searching is both interesting and fun, besides informative.  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:58:31 pm »
Wondering if this is a chocolate pot?

Just for grins look at some on this site   http://www.sd-limoges.com/chocolate.html

An easy way to tell a chocolate pot from an early tea pot is that a Chocolate Pot has a wide opening (usually high up on the pot) through which the chocolate can be poured and stirred when necessary. A teapot of the era had several small holes inside to hold back the tea leaves.

Also ready down on this article about hot chocolate and the difference between choc pots and coffee pots   http://www.zimbio.com/Jane+Austen/articles/481/Hot+Chocolate+18th+19th+Century+Style
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:19:40 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:26:22 pm »
Good Call KC, Looks like a chocolate pot to me, I'll second that call  ;)