Author Topic: Help identifying small table  (Read 4193 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Help identifying small table
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:56:32 am »
This table came to me from my mother.  It was in our home the whole time I was growing up.  If anyone can shed some light on the design, use and era, possibly the wood as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

I can find no marks whatsoever on the wood but have not cleaned up the metal bracing holding the legs....possibly something there??

The front and back are exactly the same, the back having imitation drawer fronts.

Measurements are:

Height:      29"
Width:       22"
Ext.Width   43 1/2"
Depth:       18"

I would love, when I pass this on, to be able to tell my daughters a little more about it, other than it was "Nannie's sewing table". !!   ;)

I have more pics of detail and interior. Will post a link to the rest........Photo overload. >:(

sapphire

• View Profile
Re: Help identifying small table
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:24:11 am »
I guess my pics are too large to include here, so this is a link to the more detailed ones.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t98/geeziesmom/Nannies%20Sewing%20Table/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:55:59 pm »
Bump
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:50:18 pm »
Is it tall enough for you to put your knees under? If so, it may be some sort of a desk. It looks presentable on both sides, so its meant to be able to stand away from a wall, and be easily moved around the room. The foldout table feature suggests some sort of workstation purpose. Something you can pull out when you need to use it, and put it back into its place when you don't. This would be good for someone who didn't have a lot of space. I could be way off the mark here. It may have a much more specific use, but I can't imagine what. As far as its age, I would guess around 1900 to 1920's myself, just a guess.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:12:21 pm »
The bottom is  17 1/2"  from the floor so it would have to be an awfully low chair. And the 'table' measure 12" top to bottom which for someone my height (5'3") if I could get my knees under it, my chin would pretty well rest on the top.  My mother always referred to it as the sewing table, but never used it as such, except to keep a few sewing necessities in it.  As you mention, it definitely has a 'work station' appearance when extended, but the lack of leg room and the depth of structure certainly negate the usefulness.  I've been seeing it all my life and have yet to figure out exactly what it's original purpose was.......but it does hold up the phone and lamp pretty well..  ;)

I'm going to take a more careful look at the metal bracing on the underside of the legs.  There didn't appear to be any type of markings, but heaven knows what could be under that accumulated 'finish'.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:32:28 pm »
Ah, I see. You must be meant to stand up while using it then. I would have to go with some sort of professional setting. You can lock all the drawers, so that makes sense. Not that being able to lock the drawers would in any way rule out this being meant for use in the home.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:46:23 am »
Sapphire I believe your mother was right. These work tables (as they are sometimes called)were introduced in the late 18th c primarily for ladies to sew at. usually fairly small & compact some have hinged tops some have fitted interiors some have silk work bags and many have key locks. Most from the  late 18th c stand on four square or turned,slender tapering legs. Pedestal supports and turned fluted legs are typical of early 19th c. I do not believe you placed your legs under these to work but sat almost turned to the center of the room to socialize as most women used sewing as  social time during these periods. Miller's antique books show several examples of these beautiful little work tables. Treasure it and do pass it on to your children.You may want to get it appraised as they tend to hold high value if original and yours looks like the real macoy. beautiful!!!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:15:02 pm »
I missed this one. ;D ;D ;D that's what you get when your sleeping. it is a work table. sewing etc. very nice quality & easy $500.00 Dollars.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:29:48 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies!  It's nice to be able to pass along more than just the article itself.  Knowing what it is and how long it has been around just adds icing to the cake.  The fact that it was "Nannie's" is more than enough for my girls, now they'll have a bit more of the story to pass on to the next generation.  I can't imagine the years it takes to learn and acquire the information necessary to be able to give us these answers.  Your efforts are much appreciated.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:37:01 pm »
It may have taken them years to give you the right answer, but it only took me a few minutes to give the wrong one ::). I think I'll stick to what I know from now on.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »
Ummm Skinny I think you were the first to mention the 'work station' aspect  ;)  For someone such as myself, with the antiques knowledge of a gerbil any and all help is appreciated.

Question to Wendy and D&b...........am I reading correctly in that you are saying my table is possibly 100 years older than I thought ???

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 06:04:12 am »
Sapphire from what I see all signs point to early 19th c Hand done dove tails (not machine done), pedestal support, brass caps & casters are all signs of that era. If not a cleverly done repo it very well could be that old!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »
I really, really, really like it.  Would love to find one like this some day...  So many things to find...and buy...and then dust...and then care for....and then instill the love for it to my kids......    LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 09:43:05 pm »
These were also sometimes known as/called 'game tables' , and often used as such (board games , chess , etc. ).
No HD1080i ports , so not so much today .

Nice little piece , sapphire .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "