Author Topic: Reed & Barton 1866 water pitcher, price?  (Read 5809 times)

Sioux

• View Profile
Reed & Barton 1866 water pitcher, price?
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:18:23 pm »
Hello, i'm new to this forum. I have this water pitcher i'd like to sell but i don't know exactly at what price. there's an engraving at the base, it says "Plated By Reed & Barton 1866"
can anybody help me?

sorry about the poor quality photos!  :-\

Thanks a lot!  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:20:01 pm by Sioux »

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Reed & Barton 1866 water pitcher, price?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:57 pm »
What you have is a "Tilting water set" by as you know Reed & Barton,  prominent silversmith manufacturer based in the city of Taunton, Massachusetts, since 1824.  Internationally acclaimed for its fine quality products,  sterling silver and silverplate . The company has produced many varieties of silver and pewter products. The  products are considered to be of such a high standard that they are used at the White House in Washington, D.C. Today, The company operates a factory store at the plant site, outlet store at Wrentham Premium Outlets in Wrentham, Massachusetts, and an online store as well. I would try to contact them and see if they can give you any info. on your piece from there records. One is now being sold on ebay (not as nice as yours & no cup)for I believe $495.00 They are saying it is English.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »
It's would love to tell you that it isn't worth much and will take it off of your hands....but I can't....not in my nature (but think it every now and then - ha!).

Tipper pots are still very collectable.   Here's some information http://www.silvercollectblog.com/antique-ice-pitchers-and-water-sets.html

Does it have it's liner?  (That increases the value!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:51:04 pm »
That is a nice Tilting Pitcher.  I would question the 1866 that is most likely the pattern number of the item.  If possible can we get pics of the hallmarks.  many of the reed and Barton have date stamps, but they are symbols.  Some have pat. date stamps too.  Like the one that wendy found on Ebay.  I have my doubts if it will sell at that price.  If you like to see a few comparion models check out the ones on replacement .com around the 1860's pattern numbers.  

http://www.replacements.com/silver/RDS11IMG02.htm

From the looks of your item I would place it late 1800's anyway maybe early 20th century, but like I said earlier I would gamble on that 1866 is the pattern.  Pics of the hallmarks may bring better clues.  Usually most silverplate items bring in only maybe $ to $$.  However your item is very unique in comparsion to most silverplate pitcher, don't see many tilting ones, This is mostly due to silverplate was a middle class item, rich kept their Sterling,  Many middle class wanted nice silverplate for there table but tilting pitchers was mostly made in sterling.  I have seen a couple of nice tilting pitchers with tags of 75.00 to 150.00 prices on them at the consigment and Antique Malls. With a cup added maybe a tid bit more.  If in excellent condition I would say you can estimate the value at $200.00 but would get $100.00 on ebay on a good day.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:21:16 pm by ironlord1963 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 11:09:50 pm »
ironlord agree.  the 1866 isn't the year made.  Early 1900's.   Value if in good condition and with liner  (no silver wear, cracking, splitting, need of soldering, etc)  $150 to $200+.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Sioux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:35:49 pm »
First of all, many thanks for the helping!
Second!, what it means "hallmarks"? Could you put a photo or drawing as a reference? sorry but English is not my native language!  :-\

this is the base of the Tilting Pitcher, (the circle) it says

"MF'D & PLATED BY REED & BARTON
                 144"
it is marked too a number "365"

in the cup as in the base, says

"MF'D & PLATED BY REED & BARTON
                 1866"

No more numbers or anything else

and some pictures of symbols and things

Really appreciate all the assistance and help! THANKS!   :):)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:39:35 pm »
Hallmarks are small numbers, letters, stamps or imprints put in the silver by the maker. These help identify the grade of silver, the date and the company that made it. In England they have a very good silver identification system, so that you can usually learn a lot about your piece by the hallmarks.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Sioux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:18:31 pm »
thanks talesofthesevenseas!  :), now i know!

So, someone knows what the numbers mean?  :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:01:53 pm »
The Numbers are pattern numbers used to identify the pattern.  You mention English not your language, where are you from?  Reed and Barton is a well known High quality silver manufacture in the States, just curious where this tiliting water jug ended up.