Author Topic: Tirol Eagle Plate Help  (Read 4825 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Tirol Eagle Plate Help
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »
Would really like to get some input on this if possible.
Measures 12" in diameter and is fairly heavy.
                                                        Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Tirol Eagle Plate Help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 06:37:06 pm »
   Nice Piece dean.  Is the center porcelain, or cermanic?   My first impression is that it is a trivet, and later became a hanging piece.  Looks Handpainted which is always a bonus, but it also appears to be wood burned also, is this correct.  I assume it has not maker marks or hallmarks anywhere.  Have you had the inscription read?  Looks Austrian, maybe german but I'm a bit lame on Languages, even english  :D.  This item has lots of character and has a lot going for it, just the looks alone will bring in good value.  Not sure I know what a Tirol is, will look that up in a moment, but appears to be a phoenix too me.   I will have to let the other pipe in for they will know more then I, esp the language, but just thought I would say I appears to be a trivet and later made into wall plaque.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:28:27 pm »
Can only make out a few words in German   adler means Eagler.  feindes blute means enemy blood.

Can you post a better pic?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:42:40 am »
"Adler! Tiroler Adler! Warum bist du so roht?
Vom rothem Sonnenscheine, vom rothem Feuerscheine,
vom Feindes blute roth, darum bin ich so roth."

Of course one can't apply the rhymes but the meaning is:

"Eagle! Tirolean Eagle! Why are you so red?
From red sunshine, from red fire glow
from blood of enemies, that is why I'm red."

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:39:23 am »
It's Austrian, from sometime in the 19th century. Tyrol revolted against Napoleon, and this let to a wave of strong patriotism which lasted for quite some time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:53:52 am by Skinny »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 03:12:20 pm »
Thanks Chris for the interpretation...co uld only make out a few words! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:41:15 pm »
Thank you for giving the great translation plus some type of direction on what to look into for the history behind this peice. A great starting point for sure due to all your generous help and ideas.

Ironlord1963 the plates center is wood (not sure what kind) and I don't know if it is burned but it has light carvings enhancing the lettering and details throughout.There is no signs of any makers mark/hallmarks that would give a clue to the origin.

I really enjoy having all these opinions and collective information to assist in finding out about antiques.
Many thanks for your sharing these and helping out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:43:12 pm by Dean Perdue »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:23:58 pm »
Dean , I may be seein' things again ... but anyway -

At about the 11 o'clock position , relative to the eagle head , there looks like a possible signature & the # 98 .
What I'm seeing is within/near to the base of the reddish flower , very close to the outer edge of the inner emblem rim .

Could just be patina , but this irregularity in the design can't be seen anywhere else I've looked (in your image) .

Am I seein' things ?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »
Must be a real dense wood to be heavy as describe, would be intresting to know the wood, I haven't got the wood thing down yet, but someone knows for sure.  Looking really close, I can see a woodburning base then hand painted over, I can see the inconsistant burn lines, not made by a modern wood burning tool for sure, kind of makes me wonder how they wood burned before weller.  Being wood center takes out the trivet ideal, beside who would want a hot pan placed on such a nice handcrafted piece.  Which I could add more then I think it is a wonderful piece that has lots of value just based upon how it looks.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:06:10 pm »
Regularjoe2,

Thank you for the observation. As much as I would like to see what your seeing I cannot.

You've made a great attempt to accurately describe the area in question but for the life of me I have no idea where you think there may be something. I looked over and over but am having no luck.

Are you saying the eagles head is 12 at o'clock and the base of the reddish flower is at the stem of it or is the base by where the flower is closest to the outer edge of the inner emblem rim?

Wish I had a better eye for seeing this stuff and appreciate your bringing it up longshot or not.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »
I should have posted this along with my question .

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »
I see what your talking about now Regularjoe2. Good eye.
I'm looking at the area and unfortunately it seems to faded out to tell anything for sure. I do see the 98 your mentioning.

I think alot of the details have faded out somewhat over time. When it's put under direct light it seems as there was maybe a white paint that was used on all the edelweiss leaves and they now look faded out but a sheen still remains. Looks the same with some of the green colors too.

After taking such a close look now it's got me thinking what it would have looked like when it was new.
Think after skinny's comment I'll try to look into some history of Tirol too.

Thanks everyone who helped.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 09:59:39 am »
One more thought , per your last post - you might try hittin' it with a black light & see more of the (former) paint details you mentioned .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 10:45:03 am »
regularejoe....how i the heck did you see that?  I now see it!  Wow...amazing!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 01:02:58 am »
Had some D.O.D. training in pattern recognition KC , I guess that helps - but sometimes all I see is a tub o' guts ...