Author Topic: Civil War U.S. Cavalry "thing"  (Read 6462 times)

Skinny

• View Profile
Civil War U.S. Cavalry "thing"
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:18:21 pm »
I bought this idem at an antique store when I was a kid. It was sold as something to do with Civil War cavalry. Something that goes on a saddle, I believe. What I would like to know is, what exactly is it, and does it have any value? It's made of thick leather and five inches long. Thanks for any info!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Civil War U.S. Cavalry "thing"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:59 pm »
It looks very much like the the strap that can hold the tail end of the latigo (cinch tie) on a saddle. It keeps the loose end from flapping around. But usually these have a slot in them for the latigo to go through. See the part of this diagram marked latigo carrier:
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:54:44 pm »
I think I found what it is. It might be a turnback on a harness or breastplate, but I'm having trouble finding one quite like it online.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:07:42 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:14:06 pm »
Yepper from a saddle!  Try and find a pic myself.

When my brother made Colonel with 1st Calvary many years ago he had to ride in on a horse (full garb and swords) for his change of command.....they still ride horses and have the wagon etc.  Which is then followed by tanks, etc. Gun salutes.... Quite an event.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:36:04 pm »
I've pulled up some cavalry saddle photos and haven't been able to find this exact piece, but what I'm thinking is that it is the breast plate piece that would go in the center of the horses chest and would have a strap through it back to the saddle, and one running between the horse's legs. This keeps your saddle from slipping back when you go uphill. I can't think what other purpose a piece like this would serve. It's been a lot of years since my equestrian days and I'm a bit rusty on this!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:48:13 pm »
Haven't had a chance to go through this one by one....but maybe you can....http://www.rsdmilitaria.com/cavalry.php

Believe it or not they do have books about this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0806121025/ref=nosim/azrahistoricalre#reader
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Nikkishewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:29:33 pm »
Could it be a piece for a running martingale?

Best Regar, Nicolle

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:04:47 pm »
KC, I looked at that website, and I didn't find anything on or off of a saddle that looked like this piece. I also checked out saddles in yahoo images. No luck. Whatever it is, a collector might like to have it to go with their saddle and tack. It doesn't look like something rare to me, so I would think it would be easier to find something like it somewhere. It could be from a later time, I suppose. Just to look at its construction and the old leather, I wouldn't go past the Indian Wars with it though. It may have been just a decoration to hang off of a strap somewhere too, and served no practical purpose.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 05:38:52 pm »
I will try and send a pic to my brother and see what he has to say about it....he may have buds that can give some more insight to it.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:13 pm »
Thanks...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 04:45:39 am »
Don't ya'll forget now that the US Military used horses for pulling wagons, etc., so that thingy could have been from the harness, maybe like for a reins "guide" (holder).

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:28:44 pm »
Don't ya'll forget now that the US Military used horses for pulling wagons, etc., so that thingy could have been from the harness, maybe like for a reins "guide" (holder).

Yeah, I've started thinking along those lines as well. I think if it was cavalry, it would probably have the crossed sabers on it. It could be from artillery or an officers horse as well.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:01 pm »
I think I've got your answer- It looks to be a part of a spur strap! Check it out:
The style is slightly different, I think the thing to do is to try to find some old Cavalry spur straps to compare it to.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:04:24 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 02:47:56 pm »
That spur strap looks a lot like mine, but mine doesn't have a strap with holes for a buckle on it. The tail just folds around the back and attaches to itself with a sort of a rivet. It looks to me like it's maybe supposed to hang on something. I dunno.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
Skinny, your post came to mind when I saw this pic tonight. 

On the harness just at the horse's rear leg..............co uld this be what you have?