Author Topic: IS THIS ANTIQUE  (Read 2006 times)

dizzydi1

• View Profile
IS THIS ANTIQUE
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:43:01 pm »
HI CAN YOU TELL ME IF THIS JUG IS AN ANTIQUE,ON ITS BASE IS 1794 MADE IN ENGLAND AND THE LETTER K INCISED UNDER THAT, ITS WELL USED AS YOU CAN SEE IT MEASURES 4" HIGH AND 8" ACROSS TO THE END OF HANDLE.ITS A DULL TYPE OF GLAZE AS WELL, ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT
THANK YOU
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:48:59 pm by dizzydi1 »
dizzydi1

syl

• View Profile
Re: IS THIS ANTIQUE
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
I think the 1794 is a pattern number and not a date. It doesn't look very old. My guess is it's not really antique. Anyone else?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:40 pm »
Looks to be around 1920's or 30's in style, and made of stoneware, could be a creamer but sounds more like a Gravy boat by the size.  I think is a decade or so it can be considered a antique.  Very vintage, with a wonderful unique look.  Look a bit for the symbol K on english earthenware with no luck yet may be able to look a bit more later for you.  Would be great to get the manufacture this could lead to a actual date.  It is a wonderful item dizzydi

dizzydi1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:54:56 pm »
Thanks for info as I have tried to find out more but hit a dead end every time,I would appreciate any more info you can find  ironlord as you guys have more resources and know where to look, anyway thanks again
dizzydi
dizzydi1

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:23:58 am »
What I know of it...this is a representation of "spatterware".  Very collectible if in fact this is from the late 1800's to early 1900's.

You might want to search in that direction for awhile..........
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:50:54 am »
I suggest you Google for an English Pottery Forum and post your picture and question to it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:23 am »
According to this English Pottery/Stoneware/Porcelain site.......  http://www.pottery-english.com/Articles/Pottery_Marks/Pottery_Marks_and_Backstamps/

A general clue as to the date for your piece is that the back-stamp "MADE IN ENGLAND" started appearing on pottery/stoneware - 20th century, usually after 1914.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!