Author Topic: End Table Score  (Read 5411 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
End Table Score
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:33:38 pm »
       This is a End table pick up by my Girl Friend at the Estate sale last weekend.  She picked up this item for 5 bucks, and now we are seeking the experts for information on it.  The biggest issue with this item was someone covered it with lamomeon (A.K.A, bad Yuck, can't even spell it), anyway she is now in the process of cleaning it off.  She is using a plastic scraper on it but is is really stuck, she plans of making it look really good.  So we have a few questions.

1.  Of course what is it period and value and etc.

2.  What would be a better way to get rid of the yuck

3.  Then any suggestion on the amount of restoration should we (rather She)  ;D do

Saturday we are picking up a dresser and a set of twin beds also, when I get them I will post also, these were a bit more expensive, 175.00 for the dresser and the beds 75.00 for the pair, looks about the same period, we are thinking 30's or 40's
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:35:26 pm by ironlord1963 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: End Table Score
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:36:36 pm »
Just a few more pics

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:43:01 pm »
I'd suggest using a heat gun ( or a blow-dryer set on high ) to soften up the self-stick vinyl & adhesive before peeling it off .
If there's loose veneer , it may find you before you find it ( go slow & carefully) .

You might try isopropyl alcohol to remove the adhesive , rather than sanding.
I've used 90% isopropyl with good results , in combination with 0000 steel wool (gently , mind you) ; follow up with 1200 grit or finer automotive rubbing compound (only if ALL of the underlying finish is present & undamaged) ... it'll shine like a mirror .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:54:02 pm by regularjoe2 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »
Funny we just got rid of our only hairdryer a couple of weeks ago.  Good ideal thank, may just have to get another cheap one.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:37:17 pm »
Ironlord, from what I can see of the drawer front detail and especially the drawer pull.....this is extremely close to the bedroom set my parents bought prior to their marriage in 1941.  Mind you this was in Halifax, NS at Offman's Furniture.  By any chance is your end table mahogany?  Makes me want to pop down the road and visit the couple who now own the set just to compare.  ;)

And yes, heat (heat gun is best) to soften the glue, carefully scrape, then sand any remaining glue off.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:56:57 am »
Fun project piece!! I'm betting it will be a beauty when you're done! You can pick up a heat gun for about $20 at Home Depot. A plastic scraper is good to use so you don't damage the top any further. Who the heck had the bright idea to put linoleum on that pretty little thing?!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:13:18 am »
Hopefully there is no surprises under the linoleum and it wasn't put there to cover up a problem.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 07:51:11 am »
Yea we have found a few surprises, but something I think we can deal with, looks like they liked to place burning cigarettes along the edge of it, a few burn marks.  Actually, we will go to goodwill and get a 2 dollar hair dryer this week, even though everytime I walk into goodwill it cost me about 50 bucks  ;D.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:16:39 am »
Sapphire you are correct.it's Mahagony veneer. very well made.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:07:41 am »
I remember my grandparents having a bedroom set that resembled this.  From the late 1930's.

Fun piece to work on!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:47:24 pm »
     Regularjoe, Mysty thanks you.  We got a 2.99 hairdryer from goodwill and in under 3 Minutes it was off.  So far it seems we have established 30's to 40's like our guess was also, but what would something like this be worth, refinished?  I personally is guessing around $50.00 to $75.00, but we would like to hear the forum's thought on this also.   Now we are looking at a real sticky top.  Sny suggestions on the removal of it.  It was suggested Sandpaper, but I think it would just Gum it up.   Not sure if we are or rather she is up to a total refinish yet, just something to look good with her soon to come bedroom set. 

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »
You can try using cooking oil or peanut butter. Let it sit awhile, and then try to scrape it off with a plastic scraper. If this doesn't work, maybe just some alcohol like Joe said.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:17:37 pm by Skinny »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:27:53 pm »
Try searching....."removing linoleum from hardwood"  ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 05:34:27 am »
Automotive lacquer thinner will “take things off” but use it outside or in the garage where there is plenty of air flow. Put it on a rag and use the rag to wipe with. Careful tho, it will take varnish, paint, etc., etc. off. I’ve used it to “blend out” scratches in the finish by very “light” rubbing on top of and crosswise to the scratch with a damp cloth.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »
Try slightly warmed oil....it penetrates the adhesive better...if it will work on this one!

ironlord, gotta tell you what that hair dryer is also good for.  We had inherited a piano from my family and the bench had a white ring on it...and it had been on it for at least 15 years....where someone had placed a cold glass one time....the condensation got under the finish....thus the white ring.  A good friend suggested we take a slightly damp rag and place it over the ring and warm it up with a hair dryer for about 3 minutes.  Wha-lah....the ring was gone!!!  After looking at that unsightly thing for years!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:55:26 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!