Author Topic: Antique Dressing Table (perhaps?)  (Read 2249 times)

ehc68

• View Profile
Antique Dressing Table (perhaps?)
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:15:13 am »
Hello all, I have an antique piece that I'm not sure exactly what you would call it.....dresser, dressing table, desk.....etc.  I believe it's made out of Mahogany. Could anyone tell me what it is referred to as and the possible value of it? Also does it have Queen Anne style legs or Cabriole legs? I believe that it used to have some sort of mounting bracket for the mirror. There is one hole on either side of the mirror half way down where a bracket would go into allowing it to tilt up or down but it is missing. This piece is in otherwise excellent condition, however.......here are some pics.

Any info you can give me is greatly apperciated!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:58:31 am by ehc68 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Dressing Table (perhaps?)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:08:48 am »
You say that there are holes on the mirror....are there mounting holes on the back of the piece?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ehc68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:01:19 pm »
I'm sorry, that discription was a little misleading there aren't any holes in the actual mirror itself. The holes are on the sides of the wooden casing. The piece is at my mother's house so I'm unable to check right now but I'm pretty sure there weren't any mounting holes in the back of the dresser. I'll have another look and take pics of the back of it then I'll post it here. I've added pics of the holes on the sides of the mirror frame.....here they are.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:05:25 pm by ehc68 »

ehc68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »
Here is a couple of pics of the drawer construction.....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »
The reason I am asking...is so many times over the years people retain a part of something they like and pass on things they cannot keep any longer.  So....many mirrors are kept to hand on the wall.  (I know I even have a couple!)

The table looks like a hall or entryway table.  Do the rollers look original?  Haven't seen these as original.  (Probably someone extra clean wanted to move it to clean and had these put on?!?!?)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:35:09 pm »
It's  A very nice side board. the mirror does not belong. if it were attached we would have a '' Marriage'' about $300.00 Dollars.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:36:33 am »
Wood wheel casters were quite common on older pieces but that's the 1st time I've seen a dual-wheeled one.

Ruby Lane has a set of 4 for sale, which are made differently, to wit:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/charmingandcheap/ilist/,cs=Collectibles:Hardware:Furniture+Wheels,id=3.13.2.html 

ehc68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:26:24 am »
Just a few more questions...

Is there any way to tell for certain if the wooden casters are original?
Would that change the value much if we found out the double casters are original?
Does anyone know of an approximate age for this table?

I could take more pics of the table or casters if that would help any.
I'll look more carefully on the table as well as the casters for any numbers or letters.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I appreciate it!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:48:00 am »
Is there any way to tell for certain if the wooden casters are original?

ehc68, wood casters were notorious for "wearing out" quite quickly because of the abrasive action of rolling the piece of furniture around on the floor. Both, #1, the surface that touched the floor and #2, the center hole through the wheel because the weight of the furniture would compress the wood unevenly and/or "out-of-round" because of the grain of the wood, which would then cause the wheel to wear even faster. 

Dual wheel casters were probably used to retard and/or prevent the #2 problem but I don't think it would completely eliminate the problem. A metal insert (bearing) in the wheel's center hole would be the only preventive measure.

So, what I'm saying is, check the caster wheels for any "wear".