Author Topic: Pink Depression Glass  (Read 4526 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Pink Depression Glass
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:20:06 pm »
   I finally got most of the Pink depression glass I got last weekend at a estate sale.  Just thought I would share it with you and of course ask a couple of question.  ;).   I ended up with 12 pieces Two not shown yet still cleaning.  I have been looking into the subject and have indentified a couple of the patterns.   The one that I'm most curious about is the Two headed Swan.  I did find one on ebay, for I believe about $20.00, all they said was it is Art Novea, has that style.  Anyway does anyone know pink depression glass, and or anything about the Swan dish?  The second big question I have is one of the saucers has red transparent paint on the bottom, why Gosh I wish I knew, have a matching cup for it.  What would be a good way to remove the paint?   Thanks for any and all help you can offer.  

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Depression Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:25:55 pm »
Not much help from this quarter, but maybe you could find some answers here?

http://www.ndga.net/index.php

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »
Apparently this site 'had' one similar to yours but it's no longer showing.  Lots here to look at with descriptions and prices.

http://www.mamabearsattic.com/list.php?product_category=%22Elegant%20Pink%20Vintage%20Glassware%22&category_id=81

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »
Thank you Sapphire, sure enough there is the swan, and turns out my Cherry Bloosom is a Anchor Hockings and the Cubist is Jeannette Glass, that site is very helpful.  they have the swan priced at $65.00, that would pretty much pay for the whole set and then some.  Wow, I so happy I went to that Estate sale.  Sorry a bit giddy here, my first really good score.  Had a friend come over and she discovered that most of this glassware that I picked up was either Anchor Hockings or Cambridge.

sapphire

• View Profile

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 06:07:11 am »
Fenton made Swan dishes similar to that one but not in pink, but they used Dugan molds.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:07:28 am »
Well Ironlord this was a hard one to track down  while on my 13th  book on depression glass I found it. It is in colored glassware of the depression era 2 by Hazel Marie Weatherman  pg. 396. It is under  The unknowns  "swan lake" it came as a console set 2- 6 1/2" candle sticks & 10" bowl (yours) Will continue to search my other depression Glass books as this book was published in 1974 and someone may have identified the maker  in later years. Would not put a low $$ on this one as I said it was not in the first 13 books I looked through.  Great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:20:30 am by wendy177 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:04:19 am »
Wendy not intending to Hi jack the post. but it was a good time to bring forth that the service's rendered here are ''Free'' and can take hour's of research as you have 13 book's later.

My library has 300 Book's dateing to the 1930's. needless too say it can be a time consumeing job.

It took a couple of years, to gain the volunteers we have now. and I will say every one of you are welcome. for the longest Tim the texas Badger my self were carrying the load. not for gotten was Kerry bee a pottery expert who left us.

The load was getting, heavy. so now I relax a little ;D ;D ;D ;D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:52:49 am »
D&b My library is large like yours thanks to my mother!!!(many are in boxes  which in my opinion is a crime but I need more bookcases to put them in) I would love to dig into your library so much fun!! Happy to lighten the load when I can as everyone here always has so much to offer and honestly I learn more everyday.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:27:13 am »
Thanks again Wendy and all,  It is I who need more books,  I have two on Glassware so far, but just order 5 more from Amazon yesterday, so one day I can have a few hundred books too. ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »
Your doing fine Iron lord we have been at it a long time. book's on antique's have been a hobby of mine.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:00:13 pm »
Ironlord you rock!!! ask me about silver and you will get nothin!!! On your piece with the red transparent paint on the bottom Westmoreland did produce a pattern called Della Robbia #1058 with applied lustre colors. apples red-pears yellow-grapes purple always those colors but the brilliance of colors applied is diverse. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:44:43 pm »
Some fun sites I have come across over the years for depressions glass.  The best one closed due to the economy!  It was awesome!

http://antiques.about.com/od/glasspriceguides/ig/Block-Optic-DG-Price-Guide.--02/

http://www.firstclassglass.com/depressionglass.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »
Thanks for the site, really like that second one the best.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:42:06 pm »
Sounds more like you've found some anti-depression glass , ironlord .

Congrats on getting a little bit more of the good end of the stick !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "