Author Topic: Great International Naval Review Print and frame  (Read 2966 times)

Skinny

• View Profile
Great International Naval Review Print and frame
« on: September 23, 2009, 03:13:00 pm »
I've had this for many years now, always loved nautical themes. It's an 1892 Kurz & Allison lithograph of The Great International Naval Review. It has a few condition Issues. It's a bit faded, has a couple of stains in the margin at the bottom, and a little bit of a warp to it. The picture I've provided makes it look worse than what it is. The wavy quality isn't very noticeable in normal lighting, but came to life under the flash.
I've seen a less faded and stain free copy of this print for sale online at $750. What I'd like to know is how detrimental is the condition to it's value, and what value does the frame add to it. The frame looks old to me, I'm pretty sure it's period. It measures 29" by 24". Thanks!

*If you look closely, you can see the replicas of the Columbus ships that sailed in the parade. There are also a two Civil War Ironclads towards the back. At the bottom of the print, there is a list of the Countries and names of all the ships in attendance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:49:24 pm by Skinny »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Great International Naval Review Print and frame
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:03:47 am »
IMO I'd say condition is fairly important relative to price. The rarer and higher in demand the peice, the less likely it would probably be a real huge issue.

To me I don't mind antiques having some signs of age and think it adds character and history to the item. But there are many collectors who seek condition and perfection finding the beauty and value in that aspect.
Any idea if this lithograph is a common or rare one? I just looked on ebay and didn't see anything.

Depending on the value or importance it has to you or a buyer, a qualified paper conservator might be able to improve the look with a clean and press.

Any indicaters to you that the frame might be original or period? Just wondering if you may have seen any framed examples displayed before.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:20:54 pm »
I think this is a rare print. I've only ever found one for sale, and it was priced much higher than a lot of the other Kurz & Allisons that they had for sale on that website. As far as the frame is concerned, its made out of a heavy dark wood. There is a small broken piece near the bottom, which reveals to me that the wood is actually that dark color, and not stained. Walnut maybe? It also seems to be hand carved around the edges. I saw a frame in an antique store once that looked like it. I can't remember what they wanted for it, but I remember that it surprised me.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:48:13 pm »
Bump. Any other opinions?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »
Wish I could help on this, am a bit curios my self, being in the graphic businees for over 20 years Think I would, have seen lots of old print reprinted framed and mounted.  Good Luck

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:34 pm »
Sapphire you are amazing.   I need to hire you to go through my stuff  ;D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:13:20 pm »
Sapphire you are amazing.   I need to hire you to go through my stuff  ;D

Amazing, no. Curious, yes.  :)

I'll trade you my day job in exchange for the fun of going through your stuff.  :D

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46:24 pm »
Ironlord is right on.
I knew if anyone here could dig something on this up it would be sapphire.
What a asset to the forum.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:05:25 pm »
Just wish I actually KNEW this stuff.  The fun is all in the hunt, so to speak. Hopefully I can retain even a small portion of what I find. I figure at this stage in life and at my pace of learning, I'll be up to par with some on the forum by the time I'm 85.  ;)

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:45:06 am »
I wish my print looked as fresh and vibrant as that one does :D.