Author Topic: Blanket Chest .. Not sure of origin  (Read 3197 times)

sjgranai

• View Profile
Blanket Chest .. Not sure of origin
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:15:23 pm »
I have had this for about three years. Getting ready to move and lo and behold I found this writing under the drawers.

I have no clue what the origin of this piece is and/or what the approximate value may be. I can upload more pics if needed.. ask for specifics and you got it!!

It has been driving me crazy for a few weeks now. I am almost certain the writing is just going to say "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart" lol (I'm hoping for better..lol)

sjgranai

• View Profile
Re: Blanket Chest .. Not sure of origin
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:28:44 pm »
By the way.. thanks for any help you can offer. I do appreciate it.

here is another picture.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:31:56 am »
You'll definitely get some answers here, especially once 'Tales' gets a look at this........just don't tell her where you live or you might be missing a beautiful piece of furniture!  ;)

Wish I could help but totally new at this myself, just wanted to say that is absolutely gorgeous and wouldn't mind looking at it sitting in my house.  Welcome to the forum!

sjgranai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:46:14 am »
Thanks for the welcome  :)

How can I say this..hmm? It's not like I don't appreciate beautiful things. I'm not a collector and it was only because I was getting ready to put it in a yard sale that I found out that it was possibly something more than just a piece of furniture. It was an anniversary gift from my ex fiance... so it is a bit errmm.. well... tainted for me. If you get what I mean.

I'd much rather see it go to a person who will appreciate it for what it is instead of rolling their eyes seeing it each time (like I do).

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »
Just sent it along to a friend for info if any.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sjgranai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:05:59 pm »
Thanks a bunch. I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I clean the house..lol.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 12:21:29 am »
It's definitely Chinese, and you've got a Chinese lock on it too, very similar to a lock I have on a . Can you post some photos showing the construction? That would help a lot in order to be able to tell if it is antique or reproduction.

Pull out the drawers and look at them. The old Chinese drawers slide on wooden rails attached to the underside of the drawer, and at the edge of the drawer opening, you should see groves where the drawers have been slid in and out for years. Also your doors should not be single pieces of wood, but made of multiple pieces, so that they will flex as the wood shrinks and expands. You should see signs of wear where the doors have swung open/closed. Take a look at the mortise and tenons, the rectangular "joins" where pieces are fitted together. You should see some irregularity in them if it is old, with some pieces having shrunk, and others protruding out, as the wood has shrunk over time. You might also see some wear inside the drawers where stuff has rolled around.

This Web site has several excellent videos that explain how to identify antique vs. reproduction furniture.
http://www.chineseantiquefurnitureshop.com/videos.html
John and Eugene, the two guys in the videos, are VERY nice and if you contact them, they can tell you more about your chest. I'm not an expert, just a Chinese furniture junkie.  :)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sjgranai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:54:50 am »
Thanks for the link!! It would appear it is a reproduction. *sigh* Oh well.. Guess it goes into the yard sale after all! lol I have no clue what to ask for it though.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:44:31 am »
Wish I knew where your yard was.  :(
 ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:07:48 am »
You know I have one very nice Chinese piece that is a repro too, but I did some work to clean it up and its actually a very nice-looking, very functional piece. Yours looks great and still has lots of character!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sjgranai

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 11:34:02 am »
sapphire...lol.. I live in Lancaster, CA

I'm pretty much selling off the entire contents of the house and moving to Los Angeles. The chest will go up for sale along with my collection of wrought iron (that I DO collect..lol) which isn't the junk they put out today and call wrought iron..lol. The bakers rack and tall bistro table alone are worth twice as much as what I am selling all of it for.

Dealers and collectors will be more than welcome to score big if they want to come out early. lol

So, if anyone is near my town, feel free to send me an email and I will give you the address. 

Thanks again for all your help.