Author Topic: Wow! Look at this old Confederate flag  (Read 8347 times)

Texasbadger

• View Profile
Wow! Look at this old Confederate flag
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:12:28 pm »
Picked this up yesterday, and its old,,,dirty worn and has that been there feel.  Most probably a Confederate Veterans flag, but the dimensions are exactly the same as a battle flag, stars are cut out of white cloth and the blue bars have star shaped holes cut in them to be able to see the stars from both sides.  15th Georgia Infantry was known as "Bennings Brigade" and the military base Ft. Benning is named after him.  Probably late 1800's manufaction, nothing glows and its very fragile, Im going to build a shadow box frame for it,,what should I use to pin it to,,cork or acid free paper over something?  Its fifty inches by fifty inches and man does it look good.  Came out of a barn sale in Wyoming.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
Re: Wow! Look at this old Confederate flag
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:13:48 pm »
two more

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:57 pm »
Very cool.  Is the frame and no UV glass being made as I type?

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »
Yep, started yesterday, still wondering on best way to mount it, probably straight pins to cork sandwiched in acid free paper???

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:47:19 pm »
That is cool then I can put in words.  Great Score

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:27:14 pm »
Yep, started yesterday, still wondering on best way to mount it, probably straight pins to cork sandwiched in acid free paper???
I would have a professional put it together.  Pins don't really sound like a great idea (a professional will probably just press it to the non acid paper).  Non acidback paper and NO UV glass is paramount.  Even with the no UV glass you want to keep it out of direct sunlight and very bright lights. 

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:29:25 pm »
Sounds good to me, no sense in putting holes where there arent any.  Thats what Ill do.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 05:34:24 pm »
Totally agree about the professional doing it.  This is a true piece of history!  Not to put down your admirable skills....but if you don't do it often....why take chances!

By-the-way...here is a cool auction going on.....with lots of old war items.....[url]http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/19519/url]
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:58:08 pm »
All I can say is... WOW!!! Followed by *gasp!!*

I've spent a lot of time researching my Confederate ancestors and I know some folks would Looooove to get their paws on that flag! You've got an amazing treasure, you might once in a while consider exhibiting it at events or maybe at an appropriate museum on loan. People would love just to see it!

I don't think cork is a good background material, it may be acidic since cork is wood. I would cushion the acid-free backing with cotton (preferably from the south, LOL) and then cover it with cotton cloth and very gently stitch to that. I researched this really thoroughly for my Chinese cloud collar. (Pull up that topic for some links and details.) Be sure your shadow box is not air-tight, since the fabric needs to breathe. If it is extremely fragile, you can hydrate it gently, by enclosing it in a plastic bag with a cup of distilled water. This will gently steam up inside the bag and get a little moisture into the dry, fragile fibers.

I got this info from a textile conservator, at the DAR museum in Washington DC, who is the caretaker of my ancestor's dress and shawl among many other artifacts. I would be happy to put you in touch with her directly if you would like, just drop me an email. You have an absolutely wonderful, wonderful treasure. Congratulations!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 03:25:32 am »
Just an afterthought, but you should loosley ROLL it up between a white clean cotton piece of material to store it and take to the professional and NOT fold it.  

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 04:53:04 am »
Thanks Guys,,,and Pirate Woman! Im off to find the appropriate person to do the work!  Im going to enclose a brass plaque with my Confederate relatives on it as well.  Its actually taken an interesting turn in that I may have a relative in Company G of this exact unit.  W. A. Flanagan of the "Lamar Confederates".  Ancestry.com is an amazing tool.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 05:59:59 am »
Beautiful wish it could talk!!!! I often find that pieces like this do miraculously find there way home to family members amazing!!! Maybe your relative even at one point carried this flag!!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 11:04:18 am »
Yeah Ancestry.com is awesome. It's a great time to be a genealogist! That is very cool that you may have an ancester in that unit. FYI, you can probably get copies of your ancestor's military records online at http://www.footnote.com. You will need to pay about $11 for a month of service, but you can download digital copies and print them out. It's much easier and cheaper than ordering military records through the National Archives. Please post photos when it is all framed up!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 02:57:04 pm »
 :(My part of the country. this flag is frowned on. regardless it's a part of history that should be preserved. and this one is a nice one.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 03:35:20 pm »
In my neck of the woods too D&B. But personally, I feel like veterans should be honored, even if we don't see things the same way any longer. Where my Confederate ancestors are concerned, I have to constantly remind myself not to read history with modern eyes, which is especially hard to do with the Civil War. But I try not to villianize the Confederate soldiers, even though I abhor the concept of enslaving anyone. There were a whole lot of other contributing factors to the secession of the southern states besides the slavery, such as the belief in having less government control and greater empowerment of the individual states. Not that that makes it OK, it doesn't. It only helps to understand where these guys were coming from. I also try to remember that most of them were just farmers, who had a whole lot less access to information and varying viewpoints than we do now.

Its a rather uniquely American quandry to be descended from a man who led the town of Medford MA in freeing a fugitive slave on my mother's side, and to be descended on my dad's side from one Confederate who served in the cavalry, one who desserted three times and another who was part of a local defense troop called the "Beech Creek Jerkers" because they were known for having "jerked a few necks"!

Ultimately, I've had to come to terms with both, try to respect both, to realize that neither dictates who I am and that the best way we can avoid making mistakes in the future, is to thoroughly understand our own history. I'm glad you brought that up D&B!