Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Antique Candlestick  (Read 1783 times)

ehc68

• View Profile
Need Help Identifying Antique Candlestick
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:31:23 pm »
Hello I have an antique metal candlestick (Art nouveau??).

There are no markings whatsoever as far as any numbers, letters, etc.
I need help identifying this.....age, value...etc if possible.
It has a reddish tint to it in some areas.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:54:48 am by ehc68 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Need Help Identifying Antique Candlestick
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 09:48:07 am »
     My first guess here is it is plated copper, hence the reddish tint showing through the plate.  It does appear to be redder then I would expect, so I may be wrong.  Not sure it is silverplate, really look chrome from the pics.  It is really in the Art Novea style, but that style also become popular in the 60's again and could very well be a repo, espically if it is chrome over copper.  Sorry without markings the only thing we have is your picture to go on, if it is siverplate you may have a actual art Novea item.

ehc68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:33:05 pm »
Thanks Ironlord for your help. The chrome color your seeing in the pics are just a reflection of the camera flash. Another person said it may either be bronze or pot metal and is c 1900's. I'm thinking it's pot metal because looking through the hollow center on the bottom shows some bare grey colored metal.
I'm still doing some research on it.

Thanks again!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:51:05 pm »
   Possible it is made of Nickle silver too, just don't quite get the red spots yet, is this caused from wear? or is that something intentional?  The style is for sure early 1900's.  Also Nickle silver was used alot in this period, was the favorite metal for the silverplaters of that time.  If we can establish a Art Novea era then you will have something special, for lot of collectors of that period, and it not peak either, but I think it is coming around again.

ehc68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »
I'm thinking the red may be wax from a red candle that had possibly dripped on to it. I noticed some red wax around the top rim of it that I scraped off with my fingernail. There were red places, however, in other areas that didn't seem to want to come off with my fingernail and I was too afraid of scratching too hard and messing up the finish. It still wouldn't surprise me if old red wax is the culprit. Maybe the red dye in the wax stained the finish?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 10:48:21 pm »
Maybe try a lighter on the red area, if it is wax it should come off easy, and that shouldn't mess with the metal.  I have not seen wax stains on metal yet, but maybe so.  Maybe it was just made that way for effect.  Can you get a clear pic and maybe a shot from under the item.  Not  sure where else to take it with makers marks, we have little evidence to go on for age, except style, which is for sure Art Novea, and this may just be enough, even the repo stuff sell pretty good, my lady friend just bought a repo art Novea clock, based on looks not the age.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:01:51 am »
Try the lighter on the wax idea...but many metals were "highlighted" with enamel type paints that wore easily due to incompatibility of the elements.  (sounds good huh?)

Early 1900's for sure.

I think it is a keeper!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ehc68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:33 pm »
Thanks KC! I tried the lighter to it and it must be highlighted in red. I'll try to take better pics and
post as soon as I can......thanks so much everyone......you all are great!!