Author Topic: To clean it, or not to clean it  (Read 6291 times)

edweather

• View Profile
To clean it, or not to clean it
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:03 pm »
That is the question. I have a wood antique thermometer 6"x75" with a painted white face. It dates probably from before 1850 and is most likely French. It has a lot of ornate carving on it. Like an idiot, about 15 years ago I cleaned a small area of the painted face (6"x6".) I used a damp cloth to take off a little dirt. I'm sorry I touched it. Today I went to a restorer and they said they could try replacing the dirt or clean it, whichever I wanted to do but they couldn't tell me which would be best and that I would have to have a professional look at it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I also would like to know how to get a fair appraisal, so I know if it's worth sinking any $ into it.  I live in the Syracuse NY area and could post photos if necessary.  Thanks

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: To clean it, or not to clean it
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:09:42 pm »
Ed any damage to the face is a no no. a restorer could most likely fix that in a jiffy.  to clean it No. the others will be along shortly. they will give and opinion. and thank's for joining us. :)

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:15:05 pm »
Thanks.  The conservator (westlakeconservator s.com) that I visited today, told me I'd probably be looking at about $300 or so to restore the area I cleaned.  I'm assuming that the only damage I did was in removing some surface dirt from the painted surface.   

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »
Sorry you made a costly decision but I think everyone has a story like this one.
Sounds like $300 is a lot though.
If you get a chance post some photo's

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:03:47 pm »
$300 seems like a lot to me too.  They said they have to test it, document it, take photos, etc.   They seem professional.   I don't have many choices in this part of the country, Syracuse NY.  I'd like to post some photos.  It's been a while. Could you remind me the how to do it.  Thanks.

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:04:43 pm »
duh, I'll read the STICKY!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:30:35 am »
I hope to see this as well.  You must have scrubbed pretty darn good.....  I wouldn't recommend cleaning if you want to retain age/authenticity.....but lets take a look see.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:07 am »
Without actually seeing your item , I'd guess that the price the Conservator quoted you is really 'in the ballpark' for the kind of work needed to bring the item 'back' to it's original "pre-cleaned" condition/patina .

Every professional Conservator I've dealt with , over several decades , use a 'standardized' set of tables to calculate the area ( of whatever material ) in need of conservation &/or restoration , in regards to price of each service they provide - it does not matter if it's a Van Gogh or a crayon drawing from a kindergardener .
It's usually calculated in square inches ( sometimes in square centimeters too ) , and sometimes prices will vary a bit , between Art Conservators in the same region .

In light of the fact that that restoration , as well as conservation , are services that might be needed for your total item (approx. 450 square inches) , that's less than a buck per square inch .

You could , of course , purchase books and study the processes you'd need to know about for a few years . Purchasing the tools and materials for actually performing the work , you could then buy some cheapo items to  practice your new skills upon in the ensuing years (prior to attempting work on the item in question) .

I've studied a few processes for specific types of artwork myself , and where I don't feel competent enough , I just call in the 'Pros from Dover' .

In my early years of 'antiqueing' I've goofed-up in many ways that I don't today , and I now consider my many errors as real "learning opportunities" that have great value to me now .

That's my 2 centavos worth .

Welcome to the forum , edweather .
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:27:33 am by regularjoe2 »

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I will post some photos as soon as I take some.  It might take a few days...I'm working a lot this week.  You'll see the area I cleaned.  I didn't scrub at all.  Like I said, I just used a damp cloth and wiped some dirt from the painted surface.  No paint came off, just dirt.  You'll see.   

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »
Doesn't sound like you removed any of the finish and you stopped before it really made a difference.
Maybe it won't be a big issue at all.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:19:18 pm by Dean Perdue »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »
I don't believe you ruined the finish unless you really hammered it....however....I can make that area dirty again for $250!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 06:03:35 pm »
Let's get the bidding started ... I'll get it dirty again for $225.00 .

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:17:50 pm »
Funny

edweather

• View Profile
Re: To clean it, or not to clean it (photos)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »
I started a new thread for the photos, but forgot to rotate some of them.  So here are some easier to look at.  The thermometer has the mercury but doesn't work.  The vaccuum in the tube was lost sometime along the way.  You can see the lighter area that I tried to clean.  It's a little above half-way up on the thermometer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:21:06 pm by edweather »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:11 pm »
Wow,Thats really nice.
IMO it doesn't look all that bad and would think it would be of more value left alone.
How bad does the the spot bother you?
I'd rather have a antique with a honest small cosmetic defect like this, than one which has been restored and carrying a questionable aspect to it.
If you were to have the resoration done, I'd definately put it into a well qualified professional's hands.