Author Topic: To clean it, or not to clean it  (Read 6292 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: To clean it, or not to clean it
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 03:07:44 am »
I agree, don't clean it anymore or have it restored, ..... unless you are going to keep it and prefer it one way or the other.

If you decide to sell it then just tell any potential purchaser "that's the way you found it", .... just don't tell them "it was after you started cleaning it".

Let the buyer decide if they want it cleaned or restored.

It looks to be a museum piece to me, ...... or for a Historical Society's renovated/reconditioned dwelling.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 05:08:12 am »
edweather, I'm curious to know what the wording is below the lower ornate detail. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 05:39:56 am »
I don't think I would spend $ 300.00 for restoration. it's worth about $350.00 as is.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 09:44:09 am »
Agree with Dean...it looks "authentic" with the "dirt". 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 11:33:44 am »
IMO this is the type of item that might do great if at a auction with a reserve if you could bear to sell it at all.
If I could find something like this for $350. I'd be smiling for years thinking what a great deal.

Everyone will have a opinion as to wheter or not to clean,leave alone,or restore but for me that aging and un-messed with look really makes the piece.
I look at it as you can't honestly add the aging but you can always take it away at any time.

Cougars post on this IMO is very well said.

It would be interesting to get the wording into sapphires hands and see what she could possibly dig up on this awesome item.

Really beautiful desirable thermometer with allot going for it.A pleasure just to see something like this.

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:59 am »
Thank you very much for your feedback.  As for the wording....all the words I can make out are in french, and related to weather and temperature (no dates or maker).  Some of the words appear to be painted over and I can't make them out.  The dark area at the top is carving.  I did some construction work for Tony Victoria in NYC (Frederick P. Victoria and Son, Inc.) back in the late 1980's and for partial payment I choose this thermometer.  It came with documentation as follows:  "A very unusual antique 19th century thermometer executed in carved painted and gilded wood.  This thermometer was reputedly made for the Chateau of Fountainbleau after the return of the monarchy, circa 1835.  The carved fleur de lis motifs on the sides and the sunburst and Apollo mask at the top lend weight to this association." Tony told me that it's been in his family for a long time and he remembered it from when he was a child .  There is a little paint chipping on the front and some mildew on the back.  The original price tag on it was $16,000,  which I think is crazy.  I had a auctioneer tell me it was worth $200.  I guess it's worth somewhere closer to the $200.  I got the thermometer in exchange for about $2000 worth of work.  I'm a meteorolgist now and at the time I just really liked it and wanted it.  I don't think I'll sell it and I'll probably not touch it anymore, and leave it as is for now.  Thanks so much again for the feedback.  There are a few more photos on the "here are the photos" thread.  Edward

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 11:14:17 am »
Hi Ed-
Rest assured it's worth more than $200 dollars cause I'd give you more than that for it.
There are collectors for this type of thing (antique & thermometer) and it is a awesome piece.
I wouldn't sell it either and definately not for the price this auctioneer told you.I don't think that was a accurate price at all.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 11:19:00 am »
Totally agree...if in fact the info is correct it is worth more than $200 but agree with you that it isn't worth $16,000.

I am so darn curious.....if you could try and post the french words.  One of my daughters speaks French.....so I can let her have a stab at it if you can make any out!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!