Author Topic: Colonial Pennsylvania Antique  (Read 9760 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Colonial Pennsylvania Antique
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 05:39:42 pm »
Wow, he has some awesome stuff on his website. Some is priced way crazy. Some is pretty reasonable. Lots of 1850's coverlets like mine. :)

Randell01

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:55 am »
It might actually be paint lead.

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:13 am »
OK so I am by no means an expert but I know stamps in general and I am 90% sure this is one, it would make a recessed mark, which is the only way you can "mark" metals and pottery and the like back then. Are you sure it's brass? By the look of the man he is very relaxed and almost looks as if his top button is open on his collar, so it is not an upper class item. This would be a working man's stamp that he probably made himself. I am sure at one point in History marks were made simpler than putting them into a spike or handle. So a plate stamp that was pressed or hammered.
The almost "childlike" feel of it just reminds me of the first time I saw a McCoy and I thought it was a flower pot made by a child in school, mind you I was only 12, had no clue, and I was making a ton pottery, I thought mine was better HAHAHA :)

I don't know but I am sure it is a maker's mark, it seems completely inappropriate for written letters as a wax seal or embossed in the paper. Most of the old seals create a raise and most all are just initials (unless you were rich)

Hope this helps your journey!

smile4katie

• My living Antique :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 06:22:27 am »
OK so I know it's not a coin stamp but this follows the same thought of what I am saying.

Tools of Trade

The art of the blacksmithing played a key role in the evolution of trade. For a long time trade operated through a fast and loose system of barter. The advent of metalwork allowed for the invention of the coin. Metal currency allowed greater flexibility and therefore more intense trading. Early coins were created by stamping metal discs with a die. The die was placed over the disc while the other end of it was tapped with a hammer, leaving an impression on the coin.

aghhh maybe this is something :)
http://www.civilwarmuseum.org/article003.htm