Author Topic: Italian Vase / UpDated Info!  (Read 2704 times)

antiquitylver

• View Profile
Italian Vase / UpDated Info!
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:41:41 pm »
Update on my previous post and pic of Italian Vase. Now that I have actual photos, someone may have a better idea of value and age of the piece. Very good condition with some minor chips off edges of some sculpted flowers.
* 14" high Italian vase that has hand writing on bottom:" 284 Ballano Italy". Note the hand writing was on piece in the making process prior to final over-glaze. There is also a silver metallic sticker that says "toscany Italy". I had tried researching 'toscany' as a company name, but could locate it. It had belonged to my grandmother for years.
Thank you, Antiquitylvr
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:15:44 pm by antiquitylver »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Italian Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:40:32 pm »
   Sounds like a really nice item you have.  Not sure I can give a good responce to if it is a knockoff or not.  But this would have some great value none the less.  A extra fancy relief art pitcher without marking or ID would most likely start around $50.00 low end easy sale.  Now with the more info the price will go up fast.  The fact that it is hand written has to be taken with a grain of salt of course.  Then the fact you mentioned it is 14" tall makes for one very large pitcher.  I would say you can start your value in the $100.00 range.  I would say that 284 is the pattern number and was made in Ballano Italy, but this is a rookie guess.  I would like to see pics of this pitchers, sounds like a mighty fine item.

antiquitylver

• View Profile
Re: Italian Vase
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:15:30 am »
Thank you so much for your input. I was hoping someone with a keen eye would be able to tell me something. I will be posting a photo of the actual piece soon (along with pic of bottom writing). Maybe today if camera cooperates. :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Italian Vase / UpDated Info!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:02:16 pm »
Toscany is aka Tuscany Italy - a region.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

antiquitylver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:35:55 am »
Thanks, I do realize Tuscany is a region - guess the authentic spelling threw me at first  ;D. My online research shows that Ballano is known for ceramic tiles, but unable to find maker of vases. Wish I knew the age of the piece, but the metallic sticker on bottom must be a clue. Not sure when this type of sticker was first used. Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:20:41 pm by antiquitylver »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:11:48 am »
Okay...I see the sticker.  Just a little slow here.

I have that seen that sticker before. It is on a pitcher of my folks - did some research on it in the past.  Toscany makes dinnerware/porcelain and was an importer of glassware and dinnerwares in the 50's to 70's out of New York.

Here are some sites with Toscany items http://www.tias.com/showcase/1/China_and_Dinnerware/Toscany/1.html

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-27286598_ITM  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=26056.10%3Bwap2

Due to it's origin/time line...I would set the value in the $45 to $55 range.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

antiquitylver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 11:38:14 am »
Thank you for reply. I'll check out the links.