Author Topic: Royal Doulton Dinner Set - Is a complete set more valuable?  (Read 3676 times)

JennyAnyDots

• View Profile
Royal Doulton Dinner Set - Is a complete set more valuable?
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »
Hi there,  I'm completely new to the world of valuing antiques, so I apologise if my question is more complex than it need be.

I have recently moved overseas with all  my belongings, including my husband's heirloom set of dinnerware - which is a complete set, in an as-new condition. As a result of poor packing on the behalf of the shipping company four pieces were broken and I need to complete some claim forms for the insurance processes.   To cut a long story short, the insurance company is asking me to come up with the quotes for the replacement costs.  What I would love some advice on, is whether the set will have lost value overall, now that it is no longer 'complete', or, in the world of antiques, is a set still considered complete if the pieces may have come from different manufacturing batches.  I ask this because I notice that beside the standard Royal Doulton stamp and the identifying series name & number there are 2 hand-painted 'strokes' which seem uniform enough to indicate that the pieces are indeed part of a specific set.  I have attached a photo of the stamp and the 'strokes'.

Oh and it is Royal Doulton, pattern Orchid D5215 if that helps shed any light.

Thanks so much,

Jen

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Royal Doulton Dinner Set - Is a complete set more valuable?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:29:37 am »
     First I would check out this site to give you a ideal of what the cost would be to replace your pieces.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RD_ORC.htm

If you look around Ebay you may be able to find them cheaper sooner or later, but when it comes to insurance you should use replacement cost.  They tend to be a bit more expensive, but that is what they do help you to complete a set.

As for the value of a set verse the value of individal items.  In the collector world not may collect entire set, you have Tea cup collectors, Tea Pot collectors, plates and etc.  Then even a tea cup collector usually only wants one cup, don't really need 6 of the same cups on their shelf.  I have bought a couple of incomplete sets and made my money back just selling a couple of cups from the set.

It appears you have a really nice set, worth more then the usual set, being Royal Doulton and what I call a semi fancy set.  Since it is heirloom it is my opinion to replace the items and keep it as a set.  But If you ever wish to sell, you will make more money spliting it up.

JennyAnyDots

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:02:19 pm »
Ironlord1963, thank you so much for your advice. 
I had indeed found the website you suggested, and it looks like I can replace the pieces that broke from there. 
Thank you for clarifying how the collectors view these pieces, that clears up everything!
We will be keeping it as a set as it is a family treasure, and once we replace the pieces it will be good as new!

All the best,
Jen

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:20:50 pm »
Just out of curiosty how big is you set?  and would love to see pics of the set, esp. the Teapot if you have.  From what I see it is a wonderful looking pattern.

JennyAnyDots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:34 pm »
Hi there, I've looked up and down for my photos of the set, but I think they were on the hard drive that failed.  We've packed away everything into the crawlspace now and won't be pulling it out for a while yet, so sorry.. no pic! 

As for the size, it is a 6 person set.  From memory that means, egg cups, demitasse cups, teapot, coffee pot, serving platters/trays and associated gravy, creamer, sugar vessels.  Cake plates, luncheon and dinner plates. 
You can see the teapot here though http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/R/royal_doulton_orchid_tea_pot_and_lid_P0000144576S0013T2.jpg

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:22:04 pm »
     That's O.K. it was just curiosity anyway.  You have a wonderful set, good luck on the replacements, I'm sure it will be enjoyed for years to come.