Author Topic: Here are the photos! (to clean, or not to clean)  (Read 1079 times)

edweather

• View Profile
Here are the photos! (to clean, or not to clean)
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:08:09 pm »
Here are the photos I took today.  I did some construction work for Tony Victoria in NYC (Frederick P. Victoria and Son, Inc.) back in the late 1980's and for partial payment I choose this thermometer.  It came with a little documentation as follows:  "A very unusual antique 19th century thermometer executed in carved painted and gilded wood.  This thermometer was reputedly made for the Chateau of Fountainbleau after the return of the monarchy, circa 1835.  The carved fleur de lis motifs on the sides and the sunburst and Apollo mask at the top lend weight to this association." Tony told me that it's been in his family for a long time and he remembered it from when he was a child .  There is a little paint chipping on the front and some mildew on the back.  Any suggestions on value and if I should try and have it "re-dirtied," or cleaned or just leave it alone, would be much appreciated.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Here are the photos! (to clean, or not to clean)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:49:13 pm »
You really have no choice but to continue the cleaning process.  Try to keep it as uniform as possible (no dark or light spots).  Go slow.  Why is the top so dark?  Is that gunk?