Author Topic: HELP!!! Lots of antiques and dont know what to do.  (Read 1862 times)

Misntucky

• View Profile
HELP!!! Lots of antiques and dont know what to do.
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:54:42 pm »
I need help with antiques. My parents have a basement "FULL" of antique dishes they have collected over the years. I do know that there are complete and incomplete sets of dishware; including depression era, European, and others unknown to me. We need to liquidate the entire collection and need advice on what to do and how to do it. They live in the Cincinnati/Northern Ky area and would need an appraisal done at their home. Also to mention many antique furniture pieces that would be available too. Please help asap. Thank you.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: HELP!!! Lots of antiques and dont know what to do.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 02:59:47 pm »
Impossible without pictures and such.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:23 pm »
Look in the phone book under Estate Sales and Liquidators and have them come and look. They will help you sell your things but talk to more than one. Get different opinions. Talk to antique dealers. Also do research on what you have so you don't get ripped off. Good luck

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:27:42 pm »
 :)Best bet contact a local auction house. dealers commonly, want to pick and leave the rest. they may charge you and extra fee for transport but most of the time it's worth.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:39:34 pm »
     I envy your task ahead, I have dreams of going through boxes of cool stuff.  First I would ask yourself how much time do you have to liquidate your items.  Estate sales are glorified yard sales, that the shoppers are expecting deals, mostly for resale.  I have a friend that helps liquidate Estates, and trust me all his friends show up for extra special deals.   Auction Houses usually want to deal with high end items.  Dinnerware and Depression ware, unless is something really special usually won't deal with them.  Unless you hire a Liquidation Auction service who will make big lots out of the items and sell them to their advantage.  Best suggestion is to take some time and go through the items and try and pick out the best pieces first and either E-bay them or sell them at consignment.  This will yield the most favorable to you and your family.  Feel free to post items for evaluation here, we can help you a bit.  If you do need to sell quick, go talk to any antique dealers in your area, tell them the situation,  They may offer you better deals then any of these above.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:25:24 pm »
Wish I was there....like Christmas!!  (That is the way I felt when we "unpacked" my inlaws home - Christmas for over a week!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:11:02 am »
If you have a basement "FULL", I agree with D&B.

Just select an Auctioneer that has a nice Auction House and advertises their sales.

If you have good things they will bring good money.