Author Topic: Old Painting  (Read 2294 times)

dtpahrump

• View Profile
Old Painting
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:48:39 am »
I have another painting handed down from my grandmother, age is unknown but I know it's at least 65 years old and had been reframed in the early 60's I believe...I love the painting but don't know anything about it. It appears to my eye to be unsigned and nothing on the back..was wondering if anyone recognized the setting or it's origin..I know nothing about art but I believe it is oil on board..the dimensions are 40"x12". The pics aren't the best, with the glare, but it has a glass cover and didn't want to remove it. Any info would be appreciated...Thank s  DT

dtpahrump

• View Profile
Re: Old Painting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:47 am »
Oops...back to the drawing board to learn how to resize pics....

dtpahrump

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:53 am »
I think I got it...we'll see

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:40:21 am »
Your painting is known as a yard long, can't confirm location. but value 's average $40.00 to $75.00 Dollars. sometimes higher depending on the seller. but your Grandmom owned so it's priceless as a hand me down.

awmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:32:20 pm »
I believe that this painting is of Scaligero Castle, which is located on Lake Garda, Italy's largest lake. I believe that this painting does have some age because it shows the roof on the castle, which has since collapsed. This is what it looks like today:   http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/19/ed/30/scaligeri-castle-sirmione.jpg

Here is a similar painting that was done in 1918.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:40:35 pm by awmartin »

dtpahrump

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:33:00 am »
Thanks for the input...it sure does look like the same castle and lake...have always been wondering about the location...it's hanging in the living room where it will stay...I guess I should have taken the $2500.00 I was offered for it, but never intended it to be sold, I won't have to bother to insure it based on the value...thanks again   DT

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:17:10 pm »
Do you still have the original frame?Maybe it would have some more dollar value with it.
I wonder if there is some hidden signature on it that would make some more research easier?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:41:00 pm »
Great questions to ask Dean....would like to know the answers myself!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dtpahrump

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:47:10 am »
No, the old frame is long gone, it's been in this frame since I can remember and I'm in my 50's...I think I may take it out of the frame and go over it better to search for a signature....