Author Topic: English Hearth Trivet  (Read 4942 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
English Hearth Trivet
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:48 pm »
Hi Gang-
Greetings from the Erie canal where I have been on an English narrow boat since Saturday. I have been exploring the antique shops in the little canal towns and there are some bargains to be found in their antique stores- lots of Blue Onion china at garage sale prices. I picked up a nice little cast iron and brass 3-legged hearth trivet marked made in England for $5 yesterday. Will post photos asap- There's no WiFi out here on the canal!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: English Hearth Trivet
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:38:20 pm »
Sounds like fun!  Hope you are having a great time....post pics when you can!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »
Good going tales, can't wait to here the Tales of Tales  ;D

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 03:06:48 pm »
Look forward to seeing some of the new additions to your collection.Good luck

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:01:29 pm »
Hi gang,

We're back in WiFi range again! It's been a great week floating down the Erie, we've got a couple of days left before we have to return the boat.

I only purchased the trivet, nothing else so far. The Blue Onion was very, very tempting but I have been careful not to add any pieces that might be mixed up as belonging to my ancestors and I have only added modern Blue Danube pieces to the family collection that come from my own generation.

Here is the trivet. I paid $5 bucks for it. I've seen similar going from $40ish to $125 on Ebay. Mine is smallish, maybe 5" or 6" in diameter, three legs, and perhaps 4" tall or a little less. (I don't have a tape measure on the boat, but will post exact dimensions ASAP.) A little bigger than the handle type, like a small "footman" style. I'm guessing it is 1880 - 1920? Anyone have an opinion on that? The mark on the underside says "Made in England". It is in very good shape, no dents or bends. Sits solid as a rock, steady on all three feet and very stable.

Here it is:

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:48 am »
Wow...nice find Tales!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 12:47:36 pm »
You are haveing and intirely good time. I would say your right the trivet look's too be 1880's.best left as it is.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:58:56 pm »
Thanks all! No I had no intention of doing anything to it at all, I like it just as it is. I'll set a dish on it now and then, but that's it.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 03:11:53 pm »
Beautiful as is.Verdigris and all.
Love those uncleaned and un-messed with items.
Just keeps getting better with age.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »
It was kind of cool the way I found the trivet, we were on our way to meet our boat partner when we passed this half antique, half 'country kitchen' type of store. Hubby said we didn't have time to stop, but I said there was always time for antiques and promised him it would be one quick pass through. I didn't see much that caught my attention until I was walking by a cupboard and saw one of its little brass legs sticking out from behind a lot of other stuff. I knew immediately it was a hearth trivet because I had been looking at a lot of these online and was surprised to find such a nice oldie in a hybrid store! So I took one look at the five dollar price tag and went straight to the register with it!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:46:55 pm »
O.k. Tales I need a bit of Education here, to wisp away my ignorance.  I know what a trivet is,  but what exactly is or makes a "Hearth" Trivet?.  Just feeling a bit ignorant here, could go search it.  However maybe their are others like me, scratching their head.  ;)

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:22 pm »
O.k. Tales I need a bit of Education here, to wisp away my ignorance.  I know what a trivet is,  but what exactly is or makes a "Hearth" Trivet?.  Just feeling a bit ignorant here, could go search it.  However maybe their are others like me, scratching their head.  ;)

Your not the only one Ironlord. In fact, I don't know what a "trivet" is period, "hearth" or otherwise. I do however, know what a good deal is, and this is definitely one of those!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:07 pm »
     Yea my girl friend a few months ago, taught me what a trivet is.  Something like a hot plate, for hot pans to be placed on the table.  Hearth added to this just made me  ???.  First thought was for in a fireplace, which I think is considered a Hearth, but still learning all this crazy stuff.  Shoot I'm a full blooded bohemian, we just sit the hot pan on the table and use our fingers  :D

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 09:48:23 pm »
Hubby said we didn't have time to stop, but I said there was always time for antiques

Spoken like a true collector.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:27 am »

In the old days, everything was cooked at the fireplace. Either right in the hot coals, right above the hot coals or above the fire in a pot via use of a “spider” or a fireplace trammel which was designed by the blacksmith that made it. See picture of trammel (crane) here: 

http://www.rumford.com/store/cranes.html

Thus, and I’m guessing now, a “hearth trivet” got its name from a similar item which was a metal “platform” that was used for cooking/warming purposes in a fireplace. Thus, when cast iron wood/coal burning cooking stoves came along there was an even greater demand for such a thing, ... but not a big thing, .... that could be placed on top of the stove’s hot surface ….. or placed on the table to sit “hot things” on. Thus the “trivet” was born and it is still referred to as either an “iron trivet” or a “hearth trivet