Author Topic: Rembrandt "The Three Trees" print (Rosenwald Collection)Natl Gallery of the Arts  (Read 2082 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

It seems I come across a lot of damaged material and this is one of them.  Its a Rembrandt print of the "The Three Trees" a Rosenwald Collection from the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C..  My research indicates circa 1943.  Please look at the attached photo for evaluation.  Framed print measuring approx. 13 1/2 X 10 1/2.  My concern is the water damage in the bottom left corner.  Does this significantly diminish the value if any?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DANTE5

• View Profile
Additional photos

D&b antiques

• View Profile
As we all know. the water damage should'nt be there. but it's location is not affecting the print it's self. Damage wise about 10% percent. but then we have the Purist who would not buy at any price.

DANTE5

• View Profile
As we all know. the water damage should'nt be there. but it's location is not affecting the print it's self. Damage wise about 10% percent. but then we have the Purist who would not buy at any price.

Thks D & B, I appreciated the honesty.

Skinny

• View Profile
That water damage could be fixed if I'm not mistaken, but it would cost money. If this thing is quite valuable, it would probably be worth it to take it to a conservator. If its not, then at least like D&B said, it's not affecting the print itself.

Those stains in the margins are quite common in old prints. It sort of begs the question, how do these framed prints get water on them anyway?! I've just got an old drafty house myself, but it's always managed to keep all of my stuff dry :D

DANTE5

• View Profile
If this thing is quite valuable, it would probably be worth it to take it to a conservator.

Skinny...you have raised and important question. I could not find to much information on it's value.  I was able to locate history of it origin only.