Poll

Vanity or Desk

Desk
0 (0%)
Vanity
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Help Please on this old desk/vanity?????  (Read 2692 times)

jojo76

• View Profile
Help Please on this old desk/vanity?????
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:41 am »
Can anyone tell me what this is?  And if it would be considered an antique?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Help Please on this old desk/vanity?????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:23:23 am »
 :) I have too admit. some of my favorite furniture. I guess because it's'' Country'' look on your desk & chair carefully for a signature. you may find the name Hitchcock ( Lambert) second look carefully at the gold paint on your chair leg's. the gold circles should only go half way around.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:39:30 am »
I think you are correct D&b or it is a mighty darn good repro/copy!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07:09 pm »
it look's as tho this furniture may be at and auction. so if it's original Hitchcock about $700.00 Dollars for the set. it was reproduced in 1946.

That is not and issue with the auctioner. it simply becomes Buyer Beware.

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:54:08 pm »
Here is a great site for used Hitchcock Furniture.

http://usedhitchcockfurniture.com/index2.html

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:11:43 pm »
1825-1832 chairs were all signed "L. HITCHCOCK HITCHCOCKSVILLE CONN WARRANTED" All the "N"s should be written correctly and NOT BACKWARDS.

1832-1843 chairs were all sighned " HITCHCOCK,ALFORD& Co HITCHCOCKSVILLE,CONN WARRANTED" These chairs can have both backwards "N"s and correctly written "N"s, and no registered trademark.The reason for this was that many of the factory workers could not read or write and they were required to cut their own signature stencils.

1843-1852- it is presumed chairs were unsighned. Hitchcock had little to do with the factory at this point because he had opened another cabinet making shop in another part of the state. This is where everyone says that their unsigned "genuine" Hitchcock chair was made. Every time I get someone telling me it is genuine Hitchcock, all I can say is prove it. Truth be told there is nothing special about a signed Hitchcock antique.  These chairs were massed produced back in the 19th century just like they were in the 20th century. They will never be expensive antiques for this reason and that is why a good condition newer slat rush chair is worth more than an antique one.

1948-1952 all chairs were signed "L. HITCHCOCK HITCHCOCKSVILLE CONN WARRANTED" IN A LARGER THAN NORMAL FONT WITH BOTH BACKWARDS "n"S AND CORRECTLY WRITTEN ONES. Hitchcock made ONLY rush seated chairs and it seems they had the signature that they use today with the larger font. The first wood seated chair Hitchcock ever produced was the Inn chair, and I am still not sure of the exact year it was first offered, but it was after 1952. ALL HITCHCOCK CHAIRS MADE FROM 1948 ON WILL HAVE THE "HCCo" STAMPED ON THE BOTTOM. Hitchcock chairs of today were blueprinted from antiques. Hitchcock chair co. agreed to stamp every piece so people would not confuse them with antiques.

1952 Hitchcock used the "HITCHCOCK ALFORD.&CO HITCHCOCKS-VILLE CONN. WARRANTED" with the cirlcled "R" for a registered trademark (unlike the antique pieces). This signature is found mostly on mirrors. The Hitchcock chair book does does not specifically say what signatures were used and when during this period, just when the names were registered.

1955 - 2006 All chairs were signed how we usually see them with the "L. HITCHCOCK HITCHCOCKSVILLE CONN WARRANTED" With the backwards "n"s and registered trademark. The registered trademark is not always there because it could be missed when the stenciling is done, or it would rub off. I have seen more than a few blurry or incomplete signatures. Its part of the artistry.

http://usedhitchcockfurniture.com/16512.html

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »
 :)Thank's Mike in Houston. my Brain ;D ;D ;D cell's are still swiming.

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D This is some of my favorite funiture. I have many of the "revival" pieces from the 50s. Just can't find much here in Texas.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:24:56 pm »
It is mine too.  but KC has a likeing for french Furniture ;D of which this has a similar style. :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:28:08 pm »
Yepper!!!!  Like the French furniture.....like the others....but really like the French! 

Nice essay mikeinhouston.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »
Nice essay mikeinhouston.

Oops! I wish I could take credit for that, but its from Hitchcock Used funiture. I just did a copy and paste :) :) :)

See the link for more info.

http://usedhitchcockfurniture.com/16512.html