Author Topic: Pressed Glass Fruit Bowl  (Read 2010 times)

BIS010

• View Profile
Pressed Glass Fruit Bowl
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:22:10 am »
I have been monitoring this site for a couple of weeks now. I wish I had known that such a site existed a long time ago. I have a few items that over time I may ask for help with but mostly, I will be reading the entries. Maybe someday I may even have something to contribute.

Please find attached a picture of a pressed glass fruit bowl. Reading up on pressed glass, I became curious about the fruit bowl which was supposedly a wedding gift of my great grandparents. This would date it at round 1874 or 1884. It is entirely possible that this information is wrong.

It also looks like although the bowl is pressed, some pattern grinding took place around the flower. One other thing I noticed is that the glass appears dark in colour compared to other glass/crystal items I have.

What I would like to know is the pattern name if possible and any other history such as manufacture.

Thank you
Robert

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Pressed Glass Fruit Bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:39 am »
The photos make appear like it's cut glass.  Pressed glass is not that heavy with a seam while cut glass is very heavy and no seam.  It will be interesting what the others say. 

BIS010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:47 am »
Thanks for the input. There are indeed seams but I did not think to take an image. I will look again tonight but if I recall correctly, there are also mold repair lines.

Robert

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:39:11 am »
     I didn't have much time this morning to look before work, and will look a bit more.  It kinda appears to be a version in Indiana Heirloom Pattern.  I have a creamer with a pattern very similiar, except for the cut Flower pattern on it.  It appears that after they pressed this piece they cut the flower into it.  Not sure yet, but If I can find it, I will have the answer for my creamer too.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:58:56 am »
It look's to be lead crystal. give it a ping. with your finger nail and see if you get a nice ''Ringing'' tone in return.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:57 pm »
    I poked around a bit more and still am stumped at the moment.  I have over the last few weeks been looking for and learning the different patterns of Glassware, Thus far Depression Glass and a bit into Pattern Glass.  Like I mentioned earlier I have a creamer with lot of pattern matches.   Note the second Picture and that pattern.  This pattern appears on lots and lots of Glassware, With many variations, I have a couple other items with this same pattern.  So far I have or rather seem to believe it to be a Indiana Glass patttern, but have not found a exact match.  None of my depression ware books has it.  Anyway on the third picture It seems to match your also, but still just not quite the same.   The only other thing I find unique about yours is what appears to be a cut glass flower, kinda seems out of place to me, like done later.  Or the glass Company decided to cut the flower on the pressed glass item.   Overall Glass seems to be the most challanging of the Antique and Vintage world. Not well marked and the patterns were sometimes made for decades.  Also I remember you saying the glass has a grey tint to it, and seems a bit different.  This may be a clue to the age maybe.  I have noticed that many items tend to have different Hues.  I will keep poking around and when I find my pattern or yours I will post it.   

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:56:24 pm »
Similar type of decorating.....

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,pressed-glass-sugar,2106828.html

Interesting articles on pressed glass....

http://www.mckendry.net/GLASS/glass.htm

http://reviews.ebay.com/Early-American-Pattern-or-Pressed-glass_W0QQugidZ10000000000846386

Ironlord likely knows all this, but some (like me  ;) ) are just getting their toes wet.

BIS010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:21:30 am »
Thanks everyone, it is wonderful to have so much help.

I went home last night and "pinged" the bowl. It had a disappointing dull tone. I also pinged a known crystal fruit bowl and WOW it kept on ringing just like a tuning fork. Thanks for the tip . I have added two pictures showing what looks like pressed glass seams.

Ironload1963, the patterns do indeed look very similar, thanks for the digging.

I am going to a local Antique fair later this month and will consult the resident pressed glass expert who is usually there. I will report any new information for those interested.