Author Topic: Tabacco Silks Stitchery... With a little surprise!  (Read 1991 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Tabacco Silks Stitchery... With a little surprise!
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:18:16 pm »
I thought you guys might find this one interesting and I haven't seen these come up on this forum before. A while ago, I fell in love with this- It is a stitchery, made of tabacco silks, featuring portaits of actresses from about 1910, along with each one's signature.

Back around the turn of the century, the tabacco industry started including these printed silks in their packaging. The idea was that if they put something into their packaging that the ladies liked, they would want to collect them and would encourage their husbands to smoke more, so that the could collect enough of these to make this kind of stitchery. It worked like a charm, and business boomed. At one time, this appears to have been a pillow top, before it was framed. When I got it, I removed the old frame, which was a cheap plain painted frame with chips in it, (nothing nice) and mounted it on acid-free backing.

...That's when I found the surprise!

Hidden inside the frame was an antique embroidery transfer, which seems to date to about the 1940's or thereabouts! I thought that was kind of cool. It shows nursery rhyme characters in the circular pattern. It was never used and I have no idea what it was doing in there. I guess it was originally intended to be stitched and put into the old frame, since it seemed to fit it.

I also had a lot of fun looking up each of the actresses in the collection, learning about their careers, their love lives and their downfalls. It was very easy to date the stitchery because all the actresses were at the height of their careers about 1910.

Here are the silks:

This is the embroidery transfer:

And this is one of the actresses featured in the silks named Anna Held. Now that gal could wear a corset!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Tabacco Silks Stitchery... With a little surprise!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 12:37:46 pm »
I Can only imagine. the use of the corset must have started and early age. yes that is a nice collection.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:43:13 pm »
Thanks TOT7S for the education.

Really great when you post this kind of stuff then give the history on it too.
This and your thread on mourning jewelry makes it now 2 things that you have schooled me on.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:27:54 pm by Dean Perdue »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »
I just feel sorry for the poor guys who were puffing away not realizing what they were exposing themselves to! I learned a lot from this little stitchery too.

By the way, corsets really aren't all that uncomfortable to wear. You'd be surprised. LOL, this is one I can talk about from personal experience! I have an authentic repro of an 1880 one for reenactments. The 1880's where about the height of the extreme hourglass look. It takes a couple of days to get used to it, but your guts actually shift up and out of the way, if you get cinched in correctly. (that alone is quite an interesting process, LOL!)

The thing about corsets is that back in Anna Held's day, they started wearing them from the time they were little girls and had different corsets for working and sleeping, so they were constantly training thier waists to get the perfect hourglass. It has to be done 24/7 to get the full effect. There is actually a modern woman who does it, Cathy Jung, who is in the Guinness Book of World Records:

OK, Cathy Jung's waist is pretty scary. This is me in the 1880 corset:

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:27:26 pm »
Look's good to me. keep up the good work :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:26 pm »
LOL my hubby said the same thing! Amazing what a cage of steel bars and some sturdy string can do for a girl!  ;D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:38:05 pm »
 really cool Tales  I have felt flags that were placed in tobacco packaging and stitched into quilts once collected. I like the actresses better! And as the boys in  my family would say you are one hottie bomb- a- lottie!!!!