Author Topic: WhatNot Shelf/Bookshelf  (Read 1446 times)

daspackrat

• View Profile
WhatNot Shelf/Bookshelf
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:45:05 pm »
Trying to get an idea of time of when it might have been made, who might have made it, if it's a particular 'style'. It's an exquisite unit, very high eye appeal. Approx. 50 1/4" from floor to top of back, 21" wide, 13 1/4" deep at widest spot. I don't know the type of wood. A friend at an antique store I frequent said that the quality and style of manufacture brings to her mind the late 1880s. I received it from a friend of my mother's after she died. She said that my mom had always admired it and she wanted me to have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm being forced to sell it due to lost job. Any ideas of value?

BelairDesignStudios

• View Profile
Re: WhatNot Shelf/Bookshelf
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:30:57 pm »
I'd say it's probably from the 1940s, 1950s. The back is made of plywood and indicate it's a factory made piece. I would guess also that the sides of the piece are veneered. It appears to be a piece that mimics elements of 18th century Chippendale design but definitely mid 20th century in manufacture.
Artist/Sculptor/Collector :) Creator of the Sculptural Dog Leash Holder! BelairDesignStudios .com

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:56:23 am »
The numbers on the back makes me think it was at one time "sold" at auction.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:32 am »
Mid 1940's to mid 1950's.  Agree, factory made.  $100 - $150
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!