Author Topic: early american chest of drawers  (Read 1683 times)

jhtrice

• View Profile
early american chest of drawers
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »
found chest and would like to try to authenicate it. It is a walnut and poplar and design tends to be more  mid-atlantic than new england.  One of the drawers has an inlaid oval  known as a pattera with the initials MC.  It has wedge shaped pieces that are shaded by burning to give a 3 dimensional appearance.  The actual initials are drawn on the inlay in ink, which is not unusual. It is reportably to have been owned by Moses Cleaveland who was the founder of Cleveland and lived in Canterbury Connecticut from 1754 to 1806. I found the chest in this region but to have been sold at one time from a shop in Ohio. I have tried to find records of the probated estate of Cleaveland but as of yet no luck. Does anybody have any ideas of how to authenticate this chest.
[/URL]

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: early american chest of drawers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:21:52 pm »
Does the construction method's support the time frame?

jhtrice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:31 am »
This is the info I received at time of sale

Rectangular top, applied molded rim, two short drawers, one with inlaid patera monogrammed M.C., over three graduated long drawers, bracket feet.  Condition: refinished, replaced feet and molding, replaced brasses. Dimensions: 41"W., 20"D., 37 1/2"H.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:06:27 am »
Well we certainly, have a road show spectacular here. even with repairs. it speaks circa 1780's. with a proven provenance it should easely,exceed $50,000 Dollars.
I would start a search at the Historical Society, of connecticut. his will is on file. & likely to be found in the last state he died in.

I must say thank you' for shareing this treasure.

jhtrice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:15:49 am »
thank you so much for your input in this matter  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:38:31 am »
Wow!  What a gorgeous piece.  Don't see many of this quality...  Agree with D&B on the time and IF PROVENANCE IS PROVEN you're in the money.  I know you would like an estimated value as of now...but you really need to work on this now...the longer you wait the harder to research.  The hunt and find is exciting - after all, ask the people on this site!

By-the-way...did you know that "provenance" is is from the french word provenir meaning "to come forth" or originate from.  It was originally used for art works only then spilled over to all valued items and their history up to the present.  There is a latin word also provenire which means pro- forth + venire to come.  The word came into use in the late 1700's.

Teacher KC here!  (Love the French thing!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!