Author Topic: What is this for  (Read 4223 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
What is this for
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »
Any idea's on what this was used for?
Unmarked and appears to have old looking black enamel.
Measures 5" x 2".
The lids handle and edges have some traces of gold coloring that are for the most part gone to time.
Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: What is this for
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:11 pm »
At first appearance it seems like a serving Dish of some sorts.  Is that the lid, or cover of a dish underneath?  Could we get pics of the bottom side without lid and does it have any markings on the bottom or etc?   This might help a bit. 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:05 pm »
And what is with you and the Nurnberg factor??  ;)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »
Thank you Sir.
No markings that I have been able to find.
I have no idea what it's for and guessed maybe for a ring or small jewelry????
Here's the additional photo's and thanks for your idea's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:35:55 pm »
Hard to tell from the picture but appears to be a dish that someone applied this logo/insignia to.  Does it look original?

And I do inquire as well....what is the deal with Nurnberg?  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38:06 pm »
     Intresting item for sure, So it's about the size of a saucer at 5" Round, 2" Deep.  Would sound a bit big for Jewerly.  Looks really official or Tourist like, Items with names of places are prime in the tourist market.  Or it could be really official, like something military, being black and a sports a flag would give that impression to me.  Not sure I can see a german lady using it on their dresser like a powder box.   When you said it was Black enamel would that be painted enamel over metal?, which is what it appears in the pics,  Kinda a iron texture looking.  Sorry I can only guess here, just had me looking hard at the item and had to add a couple more cents

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:42 pm »
Your guesses are as good or better than mine and I do appreciate you throwing them out there especially at this point.Good idea's Ironlord

It is enamel is over metal and the logo's, to me, appear original and I don't think they would really increase the value or desirability much regardless.

Maybe I could keep searching for another container of this type but I'm not to sure on the key word that would describe it properly.

I got this from a old man who sent it through the mail wrapped protected in a unused Depends diaper.
It arrived safely and without damage of any sort.  
I'm all for recycling and re purposing but this was a first for me.
I asked for a history on it but never got a reply back.Oh well, thankful he offered it to me in the first place.

No real obsession with Nurnberg (only posted 2 items) other than awesome beautiful architecture and loaded with lots of history.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:49:28 am by Dean Perdue »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:44:14 am »

Nürenberg - State of Bayern

The city uses two different arms; the great arms with the eagle with a king's head and the small arms with the eagle and red bends.

The great arms are derived from the oldest seals of the city, known since 1220. All great seals and secret-seals show the eagle with a Kings's head. Smaller seals only use the imperial eagle. In architecture and other pictures the figure was often displayed as a harpy; i.e. with a woman's head and breasts. The present arms go back to the original seals.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bobwiss/coa-german.htm

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:47:09 pm »
My first reaction being a California kid was that it's a tortilla warmer, but I kinda doubt they ate a lot of those in Nurenberg!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:49:14 pm »
    For some reason I seem to be interested in the bottom of the lid.  Where the handle is attached, seems to made the effort to hid the Screw or what attaches the handle to the lid.  Does this make sense?  Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but has a gong look about the bottom of the lid.  I still have to lean toward the tourist item thing.  Am I wrong about when you put a name of a city and coat of arms on items, usually is so someone can buy something to remember the experience by.   I don't think that Tourist says it is not old, sure was lots of tourist in the victorian to prewar time frame.  I know that is does not answer what it is for.    O.k. feeel like I'm just blah, blah here and really don't know a thing about it.  But it has to be cool with Nurnberg on it.  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »
I am so glad you said that Talesof....I wanted to put it so-o-o-o-o bad....but am trying to behave!

I am leaning towards the tourist item as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:07 pm »
Thanks for the observations and input.

I do agree on the tourist aspect also and maybe it's just some generic case/holder.

The point Ironlord made on the bottom of the lid is pretty interesting and the more I look at this innovative construction feature the more it boggles my mind.
Why not just a exposed nut holding the cap on?
The 'dome' that hides the hardware is part of the lid and not separate.
I thought this cap would just easily unscrew but that isn't the case. It wont budge.

Looking at the logo's under magnification you see some cracking/crazing and the colorings looks old so it looks to be original to the piece.

One thing that I'm a little unclear on is are these tourist items supposed to have a 'Made In Germany' logo somewhere on them?

Great help guys and I love all the different perspectives.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:50 am »
    For some reason I seem to be interested in the bottom of the lid.  Where the handle is attached, seems to made the effort to hid the Screw or what attaches the handle to the lid. 

Ironlord, my guess is that "fastener" for the handle is an enclosed "spring-clip" that is just pressed onto the shaft in the handle ...... and you can't get it back off.

They use those for 2 reasons, ..... assembly time is quick ..... and they will not loosen up.

Here is one that is not "enclosed".

If that was a tourist item it might have contained candy or whatever.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:30 am »
Oh yea a bon Bon Dish   :D.   I think the stamp was more made for export and import laws, if you went there yourself and pick up the item maybe made in germany would not apply, just a guess.  Beside maybe it was made before the laws was applied, tourist have been around before the dawn of time  ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:53 am »
if it had been and export item. it should have been marked Germany. likely as not it was bought in germany & brought back.