Author Topic: HELP IDENTIFY THIS UNIQUE CARVED TABLE! new photos  (Read 4509 times)

dhoppy

• View Profile
HELP IDENTIFY THIS UNIQUE CARVED TABLE! new photos
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »
I bought this table and have no idea what type of wood, time period just fell in love with it can someone help with this
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:11:47 pm by dhoppy »

BelairDesignStudios

• View Profile
Re: HELP IDENTIFY THIS UNIQUE CARVED TABLE!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10:54 pm »
From the pictures it looks to me like the new Indonesian stuff that's being brought in via container to fill up auction houses. Functional and decorative, but not an antique.
Artist/Sculptor/Collector :) Creator of the Sculptural Dog Leash Holder! BelairDesignStudios .com

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:04:13 pm »
That was my first impression was that it was way too shiny and heavily varnished. No patina.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:28 pm »
I did clean it the legs are starting to split in the grain of the wood is there anything I should use to fix this before the split goes too far? I used olive oil and lemon juice on the wood only not the marble top. When I brought it home it was nasty looking any way of finding out if it is the junk stuff being brought in?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:22:27 pm »
Can you photograph the construction on the underside? That might help.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:52:55 pm »
yes I can will post it soon thank you for your help

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: HELP IDENTIFY THIS UNIQUE CARVED TABLE! new photos
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:24:26 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Better not tell KC it's ugly, It's French Rococo. might not be just his taste in french furniture. but you can always hide it when the relatives come over. ;D ;D ;D

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:49:14 am »
k c not a big fan of ugly? Do you know around the date of this table? I am really a newbie at this stuff just know what i think is unique or ugly lol I really appreciate all the insight I get here because I would really love to learn more about antiques.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:08:15 pm »
First of all do NOTHING to the cracks we are talking Louis the 15 th Rococo etc. look's to be rose wood. time frame. circa 1840 to 1860. now here is where it get's Sticky. we are doing and on line Appraisel.

There were some very important, furniture  manufacter's working this time frame here in the states. ( french Style ) very popular in the 1840's thu 1860's. a john belter table would bring $10,000 # at auction.

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 02:10:24 pm »
okay I won't touch anything on this table thank you all for your help

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 02:19:25 pm »
As for KC ;D I was just teaseing him. I know he like's french design furniture. would you care to say' what you payed for it ? if you choose not to say I can respect that. :)

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »
you may not believe this but 40.00 dollars from someone who inherited this from an estate on craigslist

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 04:04:13 pm »
Oh Man what can I say? sure like to have been at that estate sale. what prompted you to buy it?

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »
I just thought is was unique and pretty. As you know i'm an amature at antiques I really don't know one from another thats why i'm on this site trying to learn and getting very insiteful people like you to help me understand about this

BelairDesignStudios

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:43:02 pm »
Seeing the underside of the table confirms for me that this is new Indonesian furniture. I've had a number of early 18th century tables and can't recall ever seeing one that's been varnished on the underside.  :o  Similar items are churned through a large local auction house here in Montreal every month and most of it is Rococo or Baroque in design. Most of the pieces look decent from a distance but once you're within a few paces of the piece it's apparent that the carving on the pieces is clumsy and rough and the construction is unrefined. I've seen authentic period 18th century and 19th century French furniture at the Musee des Beaux Arts and the carving, detailing, and construction of these pieces is exquisite.

The Indonesian furniture is also very prone to splitting and cracking in the Northern American climate given the differences in humidity and temperature so this would be another indicator.

$40.00 is still a very good price for a decorative piece like this as they usually sell at the auction house for $200 or so + buyers premium and taxes.
Artist/Sculptor/Collector :) Creator of the Sculptural Dog Leash Holder! BelairDesignStudios .com