Author Topic: UPDATE: What Can You Tell Me About My Native American Mirrors?  (Read 15344 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
UPDATE: What Can You Tell Me About My Native American Mirrors?
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:39 pm »
I was hooked on antiques from the time I was a little kid. This is one I purchased at our neighbor's garage sale when I was a little girl in the 60's, and I think I paid twenty-five cents for it. It is battered and old, but I have always loved it. I know absolutely nothing about it and have never seen another one like it. I have searched online and have never been able to locate anything similar. I would love to know ANYTHING about it!

Here is what I know. The family it came from was well-to-do. Each oval measures 10"x8". The mirror is in the condition that I got it in, which is pretty poor. The mirrors themselves are very thick, I think about 1/4" thick, with beveled edges. There is some loss of the silvering around the edges of the mirror, but it is fairly minimal. The hinges are what I would call "acorn" style, but I don't know if that is the correct term. The Native Americans are hand painted, and they are also partially carved into the wood, to accent the painting.

There is no signature anywhere on this piece. I have gone over every inch of it, including the hinges and the ring with a magnifying glass and there is simply nothing.

Looking at the style of the chain, hinges, thick glass, wear, style of the piece and fading of the paintings, I'm going out on a limb and placing my bet that it dates to 1880-1915, during the period when Buffalo Bill's Wild West show was all the rage, and was probably the work of an artist who did old west paintings, it does not appear to be the work of a Native American artist.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:59:18 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: What Can You Tell Me About My Native American Mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27:34 pm »
     That is a really cool item tales.  Wish I knew more about mirrors.  I was just trying to understand the three way mirror design.  Does it somehow fold into on Oval?  The Art seems like it is on the back of the mirror, so hanging it on the wall one would not see the art.  Sorry for the ignorance in design here.  It also appears to be a early wood burning, instead of carved into, before weller heated metal irons was used I believe, from memory back in my woodburning age, like age 10  :D.  Then painted over the burning.  Anyway it looks pretty neat, and in my youth I would of snagged it too.  Also pretty sure it is worth lot more then 25 pennies from the allowance money, even with inflation. 

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:33:13 pm »
The people who are depicted on your cool little item appear (to me) to be Lakota (Sioux tribe) .

In answer to your question below , I've hung-out with and known many members of the Lakota Nation since my childhood ; the era of this style of dress was indeed the "Wild Bill" days .

I've also got a bit of what's known (by non-'indians') as "Cherokee" ancestory in my Heinz57 bloodline ...

Identifying 'tribes' or 'nations' of Native American ancestory is a whole 'nuther field ... many factors are in play in this ; just like antiques , experience counts for alot !
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:03:59 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:41 pm »
Yep Ironlord that is exactly right, the two side mirrors fold inward over the center mirror and you are right, when the mirrors are out, you cannot see the paintings. With it all folded closed, you would see the male figure hanging on the wall, then open his side to see the female, then you open her side to reveal all three mirrors. So essentially, it is a wall mirror disguised as an old west painting on wood.

It does not appear to be a wood burning. There is no sign that I can see of that kind of technique. The carvings look distinctly like cuts up close, but they are worn smooth in places. It seems just to have been cut into the wood, then painted. I don't see any blackening/scorching like you do with wood burning. I could be wrong, but I think this is earlier than wood burning kits too.

That is really cool that they look Lakota Souix! Can you tell this by the style of dress? I'd like to learn more about identifying their tribe.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:59:10 pm »
The irons you were talking about were pre-electricity? Like the old curling irons? I'm looking at it really close and I just don't see any sign of it being a wood burning.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:03:09 pm »
I thought these were refered to as shaving or make up mirrors.

A victorian one I sold had a similar hanging chain, similar hinges only without the acorns, and had 3 beveled heavy glass mirrors that folded all into one piece.
The backs were decorated with leather hunting scenes and I got $200 for it.

I think yours is far nicer in the fact that it seems to be hand done and I really like the Indian subject matter.

My guess for what it's worth on the date would be about the same as yours.

I would think that this would appeal to many.
Folk Art and Native American collectors to name a few.

Really interesting and unique.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:30:15 pm »
Thanks! I tried running a search for photographs of Lakota Sioux and I think Fancypants may be right. There were a lot that looked very similar to my two old friends, a lot of Oglala Sioux also that looked very similar. Below is Chief Red Cloud of the Lakota.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:36:18 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:44:36 pm »
Whoops, found another site saying Red Cloud was Oglala looks like Oglala and Lakota are closely related maybe? ...and here is Slow Bull of the Oglala in 1872:

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:27:19 am »
Would be interesting to see if some type of Plains Indian forum exist.
Someone there could possibly have an ID with one look or have knowledge about their dress.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:18 am »
That would be REALLY interesting! I hadn't thought about it before, but I wonder if someone sat for the painting or if it was done from a photograph? I had never really given it a lot of thought, but contacting the Sioux Nation about it would be neat. The more I can understand of it's history the better.

This mirror was a funny thing to catch the eye of a little girl I guess. I don't think I was more than eight years old or thereabouts when I bought it, but the paintings of the Native American's I found fascinating, even at a very young age. I'm glad you guys are finding this one interesting too! Some people look at my mirror and think it is just junky! It is very battered. For me it has just been one of those antiques that I know will be with me throughout my life. Funny how that happens, huh?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:31:13 am »
I agree with Dean. It is a folding shaving/make-up mirror probably made for members of a “traveling circus/rodeo” so that it could be hung on a nail or peg when needed for use.

Or for hunting/excurison trips to the American wild, wild West or on safaris to Africa, etc.

And the Native Americans hand painted and partially carved into the back sides was most probably done by its owner just like the whalers would carve the scrimshaw pieces during their free time. Or the hobos that created all the Tramp Art. Just Google Tramp Art ‘images’ for pictures of it.

Thus, given the Indian motif, it very well could have been done by a member of Buffalo Bill’s troupe or another traveling rodeo troupe. A great piece of early “Americana”.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:37:12 am by cogar »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 06:38:58 am »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:10 am »
 :)That was a well spent 25 cents. Wild Bill is all most a sure thing. the style is victorian. $ 250.00 to $ 300.00 Dollars should be no problem.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:16 am »
No kidding! I had not thought about a private owner carving/painting it, I just had assumed it came that way. That is really cool! I'm glad to know it is a travel mirror too. I've learned a whole lot from you guys! Thanks!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 08:20:16 am »
OK now this has really got the gears turning in my head... The name of the family whose garage sale this came from was Barry. I ran a search and found that there was a photographer named David Frances Barry aka D.F. Barry who had a long-time relationship with Buffalo Bill Cody. He did a series of photographs of the members of the Wild West show including Buffalo Bill, Annie Oakley and none other than Red Cloud. I wonder if the family I got this from were descendants? I think this calls for a little detective work!!!

http://photoswest.org/exhib/barry/barry.htm