Author Topic: help with identification - Plates  (Read 1782 times)

Rixxel

help with identification - Plates
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:44:04 pm »
Hi, this is my 1st post (of many I'm sure!)

I have recently been given a few boxes of things to sell on but I am a complete newbie.

I have managed to identify a few things but I have no idea on these two plates.

Is there anybody able to help identify the pattern, markings...anything???

I would be most grateful :-)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: help with identification - Plates
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 07:53:59 pm »
    Nice Saucers.  The first one I'm am a bit curious about my self.  It has a scene I have seen before.  I think I have one in a box somewhere here and seen it along my travels.  Same three ladies same kind of scene and style of art.  The one I have I think it just says made in japan on it.  The second item is a wonderful looking plate also.  They both appear to be saucers, maybe the latter one is a bread plate, Saucers having the small ring for the cup.  This can make a little difference in the value.  Saucers for the most part are orphaned from the cup.  Like always there are collectors of saucers, but not many, and usually they have to be stunning, or decorative.  Nice saucers can get you a few bucks at the most, full art deco ones like the first may get you a bit more.  If you can get the maker and date you will help the value a bit more, but saucers are just slow movers in the world of collectors, get the cup and you can get 20 to 30 bucks for stunning ones like the last one.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:59:43 pm »
Maybe this site can help http://www.gotheborg.com/

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:40:00 pm »
Maybe this will help a bit.

The first one (rotated) looks familiar.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 07:25:13 am »
Rixxel, it appears to me to be "Cauldon, England" on your second plate. I started going through the list at  http://www.replacements.com/china/ROC.htm  but realized there are thirteen pages of patterns   ::)  If you have a spare hour or two, you might want to check out each pattern pic to see if you can find a match.....which could lead to more info for you.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 09:13:18 am »
They're showing 2 'imperfect' sets of cup and saucer with a 25% discount price of $29.99 (per set, I assume)   ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 10:45:02 am »
     I had a friend at work look at the symbols on the first plate.  It says Big Japan.  First letter is Big, and the following two is Ja and pan.  He says that it must be made before WW11, because after the war it was not called Big Japan.