Author Topic: Milk Glass in NYC  (Read 1250 times)

Newyorknewyork

• View Profile
Milk Glass in NYC
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:04:22 pm »
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a gift for a collector of Milk Glass, which I myself know nothing about.  Can anyone recommend a shop in New York City where they've had luck finding these pieces in the past?  I would prefer to see them in person rather than going the online route.  Any suggestions on this matter, as well as insight on which types of glass is most coveted (and would thus make the most special gift) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Milk Glass in NYC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
Milk Glass has a large history, from the mid 1800's to present day.  One could break it down into it's three era. Pre depression, Depression era, and modern.  Early milk glass is the most valueable of course, Lots of milk glass was made and introduced in the Depression era 20's to 40's with moderate value and of cours you can still get it today.  If you want to look for special find a good dealer and look for early pressed milk glass.  Just be careful with little to no markings to go buy lots of repo's.  Then if you wish a good name like Fenton goes a long way with collectors, these are mostly post 40's but with wonderful flair and artistic value.  Take a peak around on the net and get a good ideal of what kind of milk glass you are looking for and then go look around at the shops, a little knowledge here will go a long way.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:22:47 am »
Milk glass is a really tough one to place age on unless marked & many pieces were not. As many repro pieces were marked the same as the older ones. You really need to do a lot of research & just handle as many pieces old and newer that you can. As far as shops that carry it in NY I would call around & look at many pieces. As ironlord said Fenton was a wonderful producer of milk glass & it is  sought after by both milk glass collectors & Fenton collectors. Came across a few pieces I have(lots more boxed).The first is considered purple slag from L.G.Wright (but is still milk glass), The basket is by Fenton, The candle holders I have  not done any  research yet. I would look at your friends collection and try to find a unique piece they do not have yet.  good luck
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:26:42 am by wendy177 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »
Your thoughtfulness in getting some milk glass for a friend is a heartfelt one. 

Wendy has said it and I will just emphasize that unless you know the look/feel or milk glass...you could end up getting a reproduction.  Are all reproductions bad?  No.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the ever recurring advice theme on this site is....you need to like it to buy it (even if for a gift).

I truly wish I knew of someone in New York and would send you there...but unfortunately I don't.  Will inquire with a few friends.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!