Author Topic: Old Swiveling Office Chair?  (Read 2827 times)

Skinny

• View Profile
Old Swiveling Office Chair?
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:31:31 pm »
My mother in-law bought this chair at an antique store. She's redone the finish. It had old flaking paint on it when she bought it, and that had to be stripped off. What I'd like to know is: A) How old is it? B) What is it exactly? C) What might it be worth?  

It swivels around and leans back thanks to a spring loaded iron mechanism under the seat. I cant find any markings, although I think "Patent" something or another is cast onto the iron bit, but I can't make it out. The seat is missing it's upholstery, my in-laws just put a cushion in it. I believe the carving on the seat back is a ram's head.

My own opinion is that it's an office chair from around the turn of the twentieth century. I however know very little about furniture, so I'm counting on you to help me tell her what it is that she's got. I'm sure one of you have seen a chair like this before. Thanks!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Old Swiveling Office Chair?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
Is that a Greenman on the backrest?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:45:48 am »
Are there any markings on the metal parts of the rocking mechanism?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:28:16 am »
Dean, I don't know what a Greenman is, but the carving looks to me like a Ram's head.

KC, I think it says "Pat" something or another on it. Probably Pat Pending or a patent number, but I can't make it out. Those are the only marking that I can find.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:42:20 am »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:43:19 am »
Thanks Dean I learn something new here everyday!!!!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:24:37 pm »

The marks (on the back part of the metal hardware) read "PAT" on one side and either "ENT" or "EHT" on the other side. They're upside down, and also quite hard to read. Those are the only marks I can find.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:26:15 am »
What I'd like to know is how old this chair is, and about what it might be worth. Any ideas?

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:39:26 am »
An office chair and I believe it dates to about 1880. Spindles opposed to slatting which we see in 1900+. As is at auction $100-$150. In a shop with a new seat (probably originally leather), $300. Your restoration did not add to the value but sometimes it is the only alternative left.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 01:49:14 pm »
An office chair and I believe it dates to about 1880. Spindles opposed to slatting which we see in 1900+. As is at auction $100-$150. In a shop with a new seat (probably originally leather), $300. Your restoration did not add to the value but sometimes it is the only alternative left.

Thanks for the info. It's a little older than I thought it was. I think my mother in-law only paid $20 for it, plus her time an a little money for paint stripper and varnish. I think she came out ahead in the end.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:15:15 pm »
Still a beautiful chair!

I was going to say near the end of 1800's so Tim and I are on the same page.  Would also agree with his estimate and that restoration didn't add to the value.  It makes it look "nicer" for you...but word of wisdom is that you generally keep it in original condition if you are going to sell and get appraised.  Generally the appraiser will let you know current value and if refinishing will improve value!

Enjoy it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!