Author Topic: Good Deal of the Day!  (Read 2900 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Good Deal of the Day!
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »
Do you guys remember this lovely gooseneck rocker that was on the forum a while back?

Well, what can I say, I just fell in love with it, and have been looking for a similar one at an affordable price ever since seeing it. I had even been considering shipping one from out of state, when lo and behold, look what came up on Craigslist for $35 bucks today, just a few miles north of here!

The seller says the wood is mahogany, so I think the difference in color of the wood is just the lighting in the photograph or the camera. I'll know when I see it tonight. I will definitely reupholster it. This one has the nice raised relief crest on the upper back of the earlier models, unlike the ones made in the 1930's where the crest is simply incised into the back. No too bad, eh?!!! ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Good Deal of the Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:33 pm »
That's a deal ! :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:28:20 pm »
Nice Tales.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:51:43 pm »
Good luck getting this.
Looks very comfortable with nice styling too.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:17:51 pm »
What a great find!!!!!!  You did good Tales!

I have had more fun falling for other antiques on this site.  For instance the wonderful hand door knocker that you have is one of them.

I started on this site to get my "fix" with antiques and hopefully not spend as much....but....I do find that it helps stir up the interests as well.  Once a 'tiquer always a 'tiquer!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:23 pm »
I didn't buy it, it turned out to be a reproduction! This actually turned out to be a VERY good learning experience for me.

First off, the family selling it had no idea it was a repro, they were selling it for their mother and thought it was antique. But the alarm bells started going off as soon as I saw it. I was kinda confused at first, because it had the basic hallmarks of the older gooseneck rockers, with the raised crest, the skirt at the front of the seat, all of that looked good, but there was none of the nice mellow glow that you get with old wood, so I thought it had been refinished.

But then I looked at the carving quality of the goose heads, and it was really crude when compared to the one we had posted on this forum. On that one, the bills of the geese were beautifully carved and they imitated nature, looking like the bills of real geese. On the repro chair, the carving was crude, and the bills were bulbous, rather than dipping up to a ridge in the center like a real goose.

On the back of the chair the wood looked even newer, and when I flipped it over (I've learned the hard way never to buy any antique without flipping it over to look at the construction, LOL!) I saw modern-looking manufactured Phillips head screws holding the rockers to the chair and on the bottom of the chair were tags, which at first I thought might have been put on by the upholsterer when it was reupholstered, until I saw that it was a manufacturers tag, that said "Kimball Reproductions" which confirmed what I suspected.

It was a very nice reproduction and certainly worth $35 bucks, but not an antique. I also do not think the wood was mahogany. It didn't have that nice deep red tone. It looked more like oak. So the my quest for a gooseneck rocker goes on!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:09:05 am »
Glad to hear you passed on something like this and better yet did not get fooled.
Half the fun is in the hunt anyways,right.
GL with this in the future.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:45:09 am »
Glad to see you're using your skills well , talesof !

There's been a few scat-dodging wild goose-chase deals on my end up in the Northwest , too .

Happy huntin' & keep up the good work !!

8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:47:04 am by regularjoe2 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:15:36 pm »
Thanks, I was pleased that I was able to be suspicious of a good repro, and it was good to have the tag there to confirm what I already suspected. I had no idea that anyone had made repros of these, so it kind of caught me off guard! I was thinking at first that it was refinished, or maybe it had been made in the 40's, but it just had none of that undefinable "feel" of age and history. No character and personality that comes with age. So all in all, it was a really good learning experience.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:20:57 pm »
That's a first for me too. just goes to show how much ''junk'' is out there.

way2shg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 03:35:43 pm »
Nice job! I've learned from your post and your experience with this.