Author Topic: Need help with date and value of two (King and Queen) armchairs  (Read 1704 times)

Graphite

• View Profile
Need help with date and value of two (King and Queen) armchairs
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »
Hello!  First time poster and antique illiterate.  I found these two chairs while cleaning out a space I rented and I was wondering if someone might help me identify/date them.  Thanks in advance for any help!

the link:

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/atq/1453158146.html

Graphite

BelairDesignStudios

• View Profile
Re: Need help with date and value of two (King and Queen) armchairs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:34:32 am »
Would be easier to identify if you posted larger pics here but they appear to be Empire Revival his and hers parlor chairs probably dating from around 1915 or so. The "ball & claw" feet are inspired by Chippendale design and put these chairs in a higher value category than the standard parlor chairs of this period which would usually have plain legs. Looks like mahoghany but hard to tell from the pics so, at the very least, mahoghany finish. These would have been considered high end chairs at the time of their original manufacture and were usually offered as a set of six ( these 2 chairs + 4 side chairs (no arms and slightly smaller) +, possibly, a sofa. Hope this helps. :)
Artist/Sculptor/Collector :) Creator of the Sculptural Dog Leash Holder! BelairDesignStudios .com

Graphite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:09:29 pm »
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to take them to an expert over the weekend to find out for sure their age, value, etc.  Do you know if there are any identifying marks to look for to determine the builder?  Also, here's a little more info:

Metal spring cushions
Embroidered fabric
Convex push pins with dimpled heads

BelairDesignStudios

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 04:26:29 pm »
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to take them to an expert over the weekend to find out for sure their age, value, etc.  Do you know if there are any identifying marks to look for to determine the builder?  Also, here's a little more info:

Metal spring cushions
Embroidered fabric
Convex push pins with dimpled heads

Very few antique chairs carry identifying marks that would allow one to ascertain who made them (although there are exceptions like Stickley). Older 18th -19th century chairs that are valuable, high style pieces almost never have a makers mark but are usually attributed to a particular cabinetmaker based on construction and detail features that are unique to that particular cabinetmaker.

In the case of your chairs, they are most likely factory made and the most you might expect to find would be some chalk numbers used in the factory to identify a particular lot. Once the machine age arrived around the turn of the century, furniture production quickly moved from small independent cabinetmakers to large assembly line factories that could churn out hundreds of pieces a day. Empire Revival furniture was sold in large quantities during the early 1900s through the Sears catalogue and major department stores.

I've attached a pic of a chair of similar vintage and design. While this pictured chair shares many of the basic design characteristics of your chairs, it appears that your chairs are certainly more elaborate and the ball and claw carving is much finer. While the chairs are certainly attractive, in their present condition, I'd put a value of $450 for the pair on a good day. If you're planning to sell them, I'd just clean them up and sell them as is. Investing in re-upholstering them will be a losing proposition as you'd be lucky to increase the value of the chairs 40c for every dollar spent on reupholstry. Good luck. :)
Artist/Sculptor/Collector :) Creator of the Sculptural Dog Leash Holder! BelairDesignStudios .com