Author Topic: A strange chair that I have, it rocks, and has lions heads carved in it.  (Read 2981 times)

P Robert

• View Profile
Hello everyone, my name is Patrick, I am a 29 year old welder from Wisconsin.  I have been going through some old family things trying to find out more about them, but one thing I always overlooked was this chair that I have.

I am pretty sure it is at least 100 years old, but I can't find a picture of anything that look even remotely like this.

I'm trying to figure somethings out, and I am starting right here. My biggest questions are:

1) What is a chair like this called?

2) Who made it?

3) Is it ok to have something like this restored? I really would like to use it more, but I am afraid of
    damaging it.

I took these pictures, and in addition to the pictures I can tell you there are no markings whatsoever
on the bottom, I thought there would be a brand name, or a persons name at least.

Any help answering these questions is greatly appreciated, I'll buy you a cheeseburger next time you're near Milwaukee

Thanks,   Patrick

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: A strange chair that I have, it rocks, and has lions heads carved in it.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:17 am »
The rocker is great the way it is. sometimes it's hard to put a name on unsigned furniture. it's likely to be the work of. S.A Cook who was working out of Medina New York. from 1890 to the 1930's. $350.00 +

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »
Hi Patrick-
Nice chair.
I agree with D&B on the issue of not restoring if it is structurally sound.
Really a thing of beauty seeing this good honest wear and I think the value will go down if you try to improve this look.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:08:40 pm »
Totally agree with the others....do not refinish...you will most like devalue....will NOT add to value.

If you need to slip cover the cushion and bottom.  Amazing how just doing that will add to the chair for your eyes!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

P Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I am not really trying to increase the value, I am just worried about the bottom falling through, and the joints act as though the glue vanished.

I just want to keep using it, the bottom of the seat looks like burlap straps and they are stretched out.
And when you rock in it, some of the joint come loose and then slide back together.

I guess I should have phrased the question differently. I don't want is refinished, I think it looks great the way it is. Like Dean said "good honest wear".

I just want to make sure it can last another hundred years.

My grandfather used to tell me he remembers that chair being in his dads office when he was little (his father was a warden at a prison in Minnesota) and he remembers being able to put his fingers behind the lions teeth.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:42:22 pm »
Nice chair & story .

With loose joints in your chair , I'd say go ahead & have work done on it .
The pieces will abrade eachother & get looser & looser (and possibly cause breakage) .

A pro can disassemble the chair without needing to refinish it (I agree with everybody who says don't refinish your cool chair!!!) and clean and reglue the joints .
If you feel squemish about the methods used for the repair work , just ask the person doing the work ... if they dodge the question , or mention 'drilling & injecting' glue ...find another carpenter .

Sometimes mucilage glue was used on furniture of the era & does not usually stand up to the test of time (esp. in rockers) .... it becomes very brittle & shatters inside of the joints .
There's great newish/modern glues that will last the 100 year timeframe you've mentioned .

Natural fiber webbing is still available for repairing (replacing , if needed) the streched stuff on yours .

That's my 2 cents .

I miss seeing the "moon-scape" on the Winter lakefront in Milwaukee (former resident here) .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 03:24:38 am »
What a NEAT rocker! I was following this thread in text form on my BlackBerry and couldn't wait to see it from home! That is a great story about the lions teeth, be sure to pass it along to the kids in the next generation!

I too agree, it could be "shored up" and made functional, without destroying its beauty. Just interview the repair shops carefully. It's beautiful just the way it is.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:13:56 am »
"
And when you rock in it, some of the joint come loose and then slide back together.
"

I assume you are talking about the "joints" where the legs go into the rockers?

If so, then that is easy to fix, especially if all 4 are loose.

Just place a heavy rag on top of the rocker on the inside of the leg and gently tap it off. A regular hammer will do but a rubber mallet works great. Then buy a small bottle of "water soluble" wood glue and coat the dowelled end(s) of the leg and the inside of the hole(s) in the rocker, .... then pound the rocker back in place. Then use a wet cloth to wipe away the excess glue.

Be careful though, on rocking chairs both legs like to come of the rocker at the same time. So, if you are only glueing one joint you might have to use a "belt" clamp around the legs to aid getting the glued one back into the hole.

Or, you can just put a liberal amount of glue on the exposed portion of the dowelled end, pound it back in place, wipe away the excess glue and it will hold for a long, long time.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 09:49:43 am »
Agree with cogar on the repair....but PLEASE but careful and pad that chair before you "TAP" with a regular hammer!  Recommend you take the time to get a rubber mallet or borrow one.  Once the wood is dented/marred...it is done!

ALSO "TAP" it back into place.  You are probably a very strong individual...but strength isn't what is needed here...it is patience and tapping!

TAP Definition: To strike with a slight or gentle blow; to touch gently; to rap lightly; to pat.

I have seen too many pieces ruined over the years by excessive force used!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!