Author Topic: Bedroom furniture pieces; antiques or not? Possible values?  (Read 3086 times)

Divelucaya

• View Profile
Bedroom furniture pieces; antiques or not? Possible values?
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:13:09 pm »
Hello to everyone. I have a couple bedroom pieces, a bureau and a dresser, that belonged to my ex-wife (yes, she did leave them with me along with many other items when she left 14 years ago; only wanted the diamond and emerald rings I gave her and several of her antique clocks). I have no idea if these pieces are antique or not. They are in fairly good condition, with the exception of their tops which my ex-wife refinished in faux marble and plastic casters I installed to facilitate moving around. The drawers are dovetailed and have wooden sliders, the fronts have decorative scrolling and the tops are routed. The back of the bureau has a manufacturer's designation label but with no manufacturer name. I am looking to part with these pieces but do not want to do so without knowing if they are antiques and have any substantial value.

I have 15 various photos at my Flickr site: here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/divelucaya/sets/72157600762967838/detail/ which I believe has the option that anyone can view these pictures. I just can't seem to get any of the photos to show up on this post.

Thank you for your help

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Bedroom furniture pieces; antiques or not? Possible values?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 05:36:38 am »
Those look to be what is called Depression Era furniture which have value but not substantial value.

Such bureaus and dresser are sought after by those needing/wanting attractive looking storage space moreso than for antique value.

They are of better quality and will last far longer than the majority of similar new item one can purchase nowdays.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:29:29 am »
The chest on a chest. is averaging. $350.00 Dollars chest with mirror $250.00 Dollars, value's are riseing, as wood furniture is becomeing harder to find. at lower values.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:41:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum , Divelucaya .

My best educated guess is that your furniture was made by :

A C Norquist Co. , Jamestown , N.Y.

Fairly sure of it (92% sure) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Divelucaya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »
Thanks to all.  They may not be antiques but $600 (estimate of course) is still pretty significant.  It was also interesting to look up information on Depression Era furniture and the Norquist Co., although there is more info on the former than there is the latter.  It is too bad there is no way to find out the date of manufacture.

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 03:45:58 am »
It's beautiful though and you got more info on yours than i did on mine. I still don't know where mine came from or by whom. If you like it, that's all that matters. Just think of the history in it. If it could talk.