Author Topic: Is this just too crazy to consider?  (Read 4775 times)

way2shg

• View Profile
Is this just too crazy to consider?
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:55:17 am »
Hello everyone,

This may sound crazy but you all seem so experienced so I am sure you've heard/seen crazier in the amazing antique world.

About 15 years ago, I purchased my deceased grandparents home in Philadelphia from my father and his sisters (my aunts). At the time, most of my grandparents larger furnishings were still in the home. The family members had already taken what they'd wanted. Two very emotionally significant pieces remained....but my family tends to hold onto lots of things and nobody had room for these pieces. They called a local antique dealer who was working (I think) out of a warehouse kind of shop on our neighborhood. She was to come and survey for value, but she wound up striking a deal to take everything and I watched her peel off what I thought was about 5 $100 bills. Then she loaded the items into a pick up truck and off she went. I was in my mid 20s at the time.

A few years ago, I became very involved in researching my family history and found much success in it. I linked up with a 70 yr old relative with similar interests. She began telling me the family history and the about the furniture in my grandparents home. She had no idea these items had been sold. She assumed they were still in the house that I'd purchased. She believed that the items that had been sold had previously been handed down to my grandparents from their parents...and potentially their grandparents.

Now, for several years, I have strongly longed to find these items and buy them back - and, yes, it is very emotional - and yes, I know I may have to pay through the nose now.

I am attaching photos of the items so that anyone here may help me in describing them to better allow me to search. I am not an antique expert, by any means. If you would please do your best to give me a description of the items and any hint about their origination, I'd really be so grateful. Unfortunately, these items were in the photos as mere backdrop, so I don't have any detailed shots and I never checked them for markings/labels. I really want to find these pieces. Is that impossible? Any suggestions on how to approach this?

The first is what my aunts always called a chiffonier, but my 70 yr old relative says it was my great grandfather's music cabinet. As you can see, it has a mirror on the back of the top and then another tier with a metal rail around it. I am reluctant to describe the inside because I can't really recall what it looked like. I know my grandparents kept their liquor and bar ware in it. It had a skeleton key which locked the cabinet. In the photo with the little boy, you can see the brass mounts and the detail on the feet:

Here is another shot if it in the background:

The other piece for which I am hunting is a secretary. This was a very tall piece. The home has very tall ceilings, so you can tell how tall the piece is. I recall one of the glass fronts on the bookcase door being cracked straight across. I have searched and searched the internet and cannot find one that looks similar to this. The family was from Philadelphia and New York, so it could have come from either of those.

For this one, I am sorry it is small. I was reluctant to blow it up for fear of distorting it, but I see that I may have to:

In this one, my grandmom covered the glass doors with christmas paper and also the top of the desk part. When the desk was folded up, it was straight, not slanted. It had a skeleton key lock on the drop down desk part and also on both sets of doors, top and bottom. There were drawers in the secretary desk part, once you opened the desk.

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Is this just too crazy to consider?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:38 am »
Never too late to try. Many of us are always trying to reconnect with the past. It's what makes us dealers and collectors. I applaud your efforts and as you well know it is an undaunted task. It is reallllllllly hard to say from the photos. your secretary 'appears' to be a Renaissance Revival piece, circa 1885 but may well be later then that. To determine, one would need closeups, etc.

You may want to consider spreading this information about your community or a certain radius of your community, as they would have most likely been purchased withing those boundaries. Consider free advertising via post it boards, flyers. Some internet services offer free advertising on their web sites.

My wife's family sold out their heirlooms via live auction back in the 60's. One item was a curved glass china cabinet. I knew the lady who possessed it and when she passed on 25 years later of so, her husband offered it to me for $2000. I knew that he was going to have another upcoming sale and I told him I would take my chances. We'll, a fellow drove 14 hours from Texas to purchase that cabinet. I ended up paying $3600 for it but to me it didn't matter. It was a family piece that belonged to my wife's grandmother and it was going home with me.

Again I applaud your efforts and hope you can connect............ ..... 8)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51:17 am »
I would start with the dealer who bought the estate, and try to track down where the items went. Best of luck on restoring them to your family!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:59:03 am »
The chances of you connecting with the exact same pieces would be about the same as winning the lottery although it's not impossible.  If you can determine the maker and period of each piece, you can always purchase a duplicate. 

way2shg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:07:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the dealer was part of a very short-lived, funky kind of antique "mall" in our local neighborhood. It closed less than a year after the sale of the items. I have gone to other local antique shops on that same street to see if anyone remembers and they say that they cant even recollect this mall being there.

What is the proper term for the roof-line of the secretary? I'd call it triangular shaped, but I am sure there is a more appropriate name. Is the piece in the center a cornice or a crest?

Does the cabinet look like a music cabinet, or something else?

My original photos look much better than these scans. I will visit the local photo shop and have them professionally enlarged.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »
Your 70 year old relative is correct it is a Victorian music cabinet. beautiful piece!! I have seen only a few like this one and they ran in the range of $580.00 to $700.00. Good luck I have seen many pieces find there way home to family members so don't lose hope. Will keep an eye out in my travels. again good luck

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:17:33 pm »
Your little boy. Is holding on to a Louis the 16 th Eterage. ( FRENCH)which has worked very well as a wine cellar. As for the secratary. it' looks to be Georgian. clearer photos would help.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 12:21:56 pm »
You should be able to contact your local business association, chamber of commerce and better business bureau to get the names of the business owner of the antique mall. They should have a record of who the sellers were in the mall, as these people would have to have had business licenses.

Be prepared also that  even if you can find who bought the furniture, the current owners may refuse to part with it. I sure do hope you can find them!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 12:47:36 pm »
Do you live in a fairly small town?  If so, put a notice in the paper once you find out the name of the mall and ask if anyone purchased said items to contact you!  Many times long shots pay off!

I commend you on connecting with your past and the memories.  Unfortunately, with all the furniture stores and access that we have these days, we don't truly recognize the hardships and sacrifices that families made many, many years ago to purchase a single piece of furniture.  I truly appreciate how my grandmother spanked my "southside" when I tried to get into her china cabinet (I didn't then) because it was a true treasure to her and all of the pieces inside were from family generations before.  Fortunately they have been dispersed out to all my relatives and I have some beautiful pieces as well.

We are all rooting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:53:44 pm »
What is the proper term for the roof-line of the secretary? I'd call it triangular shaped, but I am sure there is a more appropriate name. Is the piece in the center a cornice or a crest?

Would be considered a Triangular Pediment

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:48 pm »
Triangular Pediment with molded medallion.......... ...at least it appear so.

way2shg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 01:24:01 pm »
KC,
thanks for the suggestion about the local ad. I live in Philadelphia (actually in the city proper), but in an old neighborhood section called Chestnut Hill. We do have a very small local paper and it is well read, so your suggestion is a good one.

Tales,
I will try the local business association route. Lots of old businesses are still in place and they'd probably remember who ran the mall.

Wendy and D&B, one of you called it a music cabinet and the other an etegere. Would those be interchangeable terms? Any idea on the age?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 05:45:52 pm »
Eterage is not interchangable, with a sheet music cabinet. it's appearence would indicate it's likely to be and original, louis the 16 th. as for the secretary that type of pediment was commonly, used until about circa 1830. assumeing it's not a reproduction.

Which is not likely.due too the fact the dealer was eager to pay $ 500.00 Dollars.which would have been a large sum of money coming from a local dealer.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:36:40 pm »
D&b, I was biting my tongue on this one.  I agree.  The cabinet is FRENCH!!!!!!!  Never seen a locking music cabinet of this sort....sheet music was prestigious...but not that valuable!  Agree with Louis XVI as well.   (Love the French furniture!!!!!!!)  The details on the legs and style definitely French and a little off for "Victorian".    If an original and in great shape (imagine a whistle here) worth more than you may care to pay to get it back if you should ever find it! 

I also agree, for a local little shabby mall to pay $500 - they knew what they were getting their hands on and laughed all the way down the road!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 12:06:35 am »
Welcome to the forum , way2shg .

Thanks for posting your pics & the story behind them .
I am wishing you the best in the new chapter of the story you're researching .

I'd also love to hear that you & your family items become reunited .

I hope you can keep an open mind , while searching (& researching) for your stuff .

Just don't give up if you keep hittin' dead-ends .... this happens alot , even to the professionals ( but sometimes a passionate 'non-pro' looks in places that the pros don't .... and winds up hittin' the jackpot ) .

;)