Author Topic: Helliwells Aircraft Badge  (Read 1677 times)

carlyhaines

• View Profile
Helliwells Aircraft Badge
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:19:05 am »
does anyone know anything about these???

syl

• View Profile
Re: Helliwells Aircraft Badge
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:18:21 am »
Can you post some photos?

carlyhaines

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:22:05 pm »
Here's a photo of the badge. It looks like red and blue enamel, I think it was my dads when he worked at the factory in the 2nd world war... I'm sure I have photographs of men working on machinary from that factory in a box in the loft (as you do!). I cant find any information regarding this badge though - if any one can help please do - thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
These were aircraft workers during WW2 and they had badges/id's that were made of enamel.  They are collector items.  I will get on the military sites I am a member of in the UK and get more info on it.

I believe Helliwells was a maker of components of the military planes  just prior to and during the war and has since expanded to be Helliwells LTD.  There are many articles on radiation and the effect on planes published in the 1960' - 1970's by JB Helliwell.

A article for it's 50th anniversary http://www.aviationancestry.com/articles/helliwells.html

Here's a typical ad of the time - they loved having an "unclad" lady in their ads http://www.aviationancestry.com/Helliwells-1-sm.jpg

They were at Wallsall Airport and also at Castle Bromwich and involved with Spifire preperation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:38:28 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

carlyhaines

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »
WOW! Thank you so much for helping me! I will attempt to get the photo's out and see if they are from the factory if so I'll put them on here for you to see.  This is an amazing site so helpful and people post back to you almost right away! I've been reading it all afternoon! lol How would I go about selling this item please?