Author Topic: anyone any idea what this piece of furniture is?  (Read 4717 times)

kateb14

• View Profile
anyone any idea what this piece of furniture is?
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:59:40 am »
I have inherited this piece of furniture but I have no idea what it is.  It is a sort of dresser, dark wood of some sort, splits into three pieces, has original glazing by look of it.  It is a lovely solid piece but it doesn't "go" with my house which is more modern so I want to sell it but advertising it as a dresser of some sort is not helpful so I need a bit more information from someone more knowledgeable.  Any help re what it is, possible material, value, age etc would be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:04:48 am by kateb14 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: anyone any idea what this piece of furniture is?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23:28 am »
It's a combination Hutch / Sideboard for storeing table linen silver ware etc. you say it '' split's'' apart ?

kateb14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:43:48 am »
Yes, the top section with the glazing is one part and the bottom section is in two pieces, top two small drawers and first large drawer and then the bottom two drawers.  Inherited from Grandmother but no idea what she used it for or where she got it so, totally in dark. Any idea what it might be made of or how old?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:08 am »
Yes, the top section with the glazing is one part and the bottom section is in two pieces, top two small drawers and first large drawer and then the bottom two drawers. 

Interesting, I betcha the pieces were made "stackable" so that one could order/purchase whatever "pieces" they had use for.

Like for a big chest-of-drawers, order 1 bottom unit w/legs and 3 bottom units wo/legs.

kateb14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:53:34 am »
whoah, didn't realise you could get antique modular furniture!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:43:10 am »
Many pieces were made in sections due to the size and weight of them.  My favorite and very-valued-antique King Louis XVI -  is in 3 pieces and even then it takes 3 men to move the pieces and you have to use ladders to stack!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:56:01 pm »
it most certainly is correct KC. this cabinet is french. pre 1900's. condition is excellent. thank's too the folk's who took care of it. $2,500 dollars

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:43 am »
Just my opinion but i'd never sell it if it was my grandmother's. I have such a mixture of furniture..to me it's interesting that way. I have very old mixed with furniture from the seventies to a huge and i do mean huge beanbag type chair in the same room. I guess I love the eclectic look. But maybe most of all i'm sentimental. It is beautiful. IMO it would mix in with any style. If you have to sell it i hope it stays in your family.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:10:32 pm »
Totally agree tendr.  When I was younger I was pretty anal and wanted everything to "match".  Then I wised up and realized that different pieces make for visual interest!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:32:27 pm »
I once heard a designer say "why have everything look like you just bought it off the store floor all at once?"
Just like if you design a house or even clothing...look at how mixtures of different styles are repeated to make new styles.

I'd never sell (unless desperate for money) a beautiful piece of furniture.
I told my mom when her GE fridge from 1954 finally dies.........i want it and i'll do something fun with it.

kateb14

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:33:35 am »
OK folks, I understand what eclectic taste , but the facts are that this is a lovely solid piece of furniture but firstly I don't like it and secondly I really do no have room for it.  There are lots of people who have items large and small in their homes because they belonged to someone else, pieces that they endure for the wrong reasons.  If I liked this piece and I had room for it then we would not be having this discussion!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 10:40:56 am »
I agree...discussion is closed.

Not gonna talk anymore.

No, this subject is over.

Not gonna talk about this beautiful piece of furniture.

Not gonna keep it.  Have no room for it.

Feeling spunky today............  :P

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 07:24:51 pm »
Nice little cabinet , kateb14 .

I hope you'll find a buyer who appreciates it .

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:22:33 pm »
 :) Didn't mean to get you upset Kate. I'd love to be the one who could buy it from you. Hope you feel better tomorrow.