Author Topic: Possible Vault Locks (warning picture heavy)  (Read 1838 times)

Piratebunnie

• View Profile
Possible Vault Locks (warning picture heavy)
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:25 pm »
Hi I am new to the boards and have run into a dead end with my pieces I am researching.

I have 3 pieces that may or may not be vault locks.

The first piece is a housing that is made of brass with two 72 hour wind up clocks inside. The piece is made by Sargent and Greenleaf, Rochester NY. The inside is stamped: Patented July 20,1876, Sept. 25,1877, Aug. 7, 1877, Nov 13, 1877. I have contacted the company who is still in business today and they told me that their records do not go back that far. The inside of the piece is very ornate and the glass is definitely hand cut. The wind up clocks do work and is keeping accurate time. I wound it up Saturday evening and there is still 22 hours to go before they stop.

Here are the pics of the first piece and probably the best piece.

The second and third piece are the same. They are about 3 feet tall, 1 foot wide and 1 foot deep. Wood, painted green. In the middle of this piece is Battery Test with 4 buttons and reads: DETEKT ATTACK SOUND WAVE VAULT PROTECTION, MFD By The O.B. McCLINTOCK CO. Minneapolis, MINN. Patent Sept. 27, 1927. There are 2 battery compartments one is for a 3 v the other for a 6 v. There are 4 gauges and what appears to be throw switches for current. I looked up the company and found one piece older then this one that fetched $516 at auction but honestly I don't care about the value of any of these I just adore the unique look of them and the fact that the time pieces all work :)

So I do not know how rare these things are or if they are common. I was told by a friend that they have a mad scientist appeal and I did find one person interested in these but they are pretty far from me. I don't think I want to sell any of these but if the price is right everything has a price. I am pretty sure the green pieces are vault alarms but the brass piece I am not sure about. Any information would be helpful. Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:18:28 pm by Piratebunnie »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Possible Vault Locks (warning picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum , Piratebunnie .

The brass item is indeed a time lock for a vault door .

The clock was designed to allow opening of the vaults' combination lock at set times , in order to defeat attempted 'incursions' by safe-crackers & others .

They were very high quality units and were impressive for customers (going into safety-deposit areas) entering the vault (they , as well as the vault doors , were semi-designed to inspire confidence in the Banks' ability to keep 'things' secure) .

Banker bling , with fancy machining & engraving .

Cool little unit .

Piratebunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »
I did find a model number for the green pieces B 280.

Piratebunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:37:01 pm »
Cool thanks for the info. I thought that is what the brass piece was but was unsure and just wanted to check to get conformation. I honestly can not find any pieces online that look like this.

Piratebunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »
Well the green Pieces are indeed Vault alarm systems. I found one at a later date then mine and they look to be uncommon. Would anyone have an ideas to the value of these pieces? If any?