Author Topic: sick bed  (Read 4793 times)

monica

• View Profile
sick bed
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:33 pm »

i got this bed at an auction, it has a chain mail type area for a box spring the head & foot boards fold in if the legs are folded up and the rocking (legs) also fold in. I've been told it was to store the bed and it was used as a "sick" bed to rock and sooth those who were ill.  Is this true or what is my bed, any Idea of the year or what it is?

railman44

• View Profile
Re: sick bed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:47:23 pm »
Pictures?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:08:37 pm »
Would really love to see a picture of this one!

Lightly constructed beds, rather like the folding kind, were small enough to be kept under the the 4 posted beds when not required.  They were used by nurses/servants attending sick people or as extra accommodation for an unexpected visitor. They even made small chests of drawers with dummy fronts - the door would swing open to reveal a folding bed which could be pulled out when needed.

These were also known as truckle beds and these days they are manufactured as trundle beds.

In the late 1800's they also made folding beds that could come out of closets and cabinets that soon became "Murphy Beds" which was (Cabinets were designed after some created in 15th century)....The folding mechanism was developed in the US by Mr. Murphy and was patented.  They became very popular!    THey also made Murphy sofas'!

There was a company that even made "Ta-Beds" - tables that became beds.  (Ta-Bed Company in Chicago.)

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:36:37 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:45:36 am »
And too add to that. chain mesh became popular about circa 1870. the largest supplier was National wire mattress among others. who all so made Bed steads.

monica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:07:00 am »
i have tried twice to send the pic tell me how or what am i doing wrong

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:21 pm »
There is a problem on the site, you can email it to me and I'll post it for you. talesofthesevenseas@hotmail.com
Antiqueaholic in recovery

monica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:18 pm »
here it is i hope!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »
Your Bed was designed out of necessity, the victorians were firm believers in Rocking as and aid to various illness's. it's unique in it's own right. circa early 1870's. conservite $500.00 + Dollars.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »
Nice bed , monica .

monica

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:34:15 pm »
thanks for the comments folks. the thing is though the bed cannot rock with the legs down. but if you fold the legs up then the head and foot boards have to fold down because they're connected to the legs with a hinge mechanism. so how could it have ever rocked? it would be awful uncomfortable with your feet and head resting on top of the folded down boards just to be able to rock.

D&B, there are 4 hinges total that connect the legs to the head and food boards and 2 or 3 are broken. is the value still approximatly the same as you mentioned? the wood is in great shape.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:48:52 pm »
He put that was a conservative value.....honestly. ...it is very old and unique (not many around anymore).....so you can most likely get up to $800+ even with bad hinges (if the wood is in really good shape!)

Great piece of history!

YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:16:44 pm »
That's VERY cool. Neat to see something like this. I love seeing antiques that really speak about the time they come from. This one does that wonderfully.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

monica

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 02:47:48 pm »
thanks for the replies folks. now, who wants to buy it? im in upstat new york and this thing is heavy so shipping would be quite a bit i assume but maybe we could work something out. just PM me if your interested.....if im allowed to sell stuff on this forum that is. i dont want to break any rules here.