Author Topic: Unidentified Oriental Bell Shaped Gong. Very interesting!!  (Read 4137 times)

Randell

• View Profile
Unidentified Oriental Bell Shaped Gong. Very interesting!!
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:30 pm »
I bought this bell shaped gong back in 02 off of ebay.  I remember that in the description it said "blank passed away and they found this in a box",  it was part of a estate sale.   I don't know or remember why but I got the impression it was a big estate sale in Texas.  I just thought it was  a cheap tourist copy or something because I never found any marks on it.  Couple weeks ago I decided to clean it with some brasso and bam theirs a mark underneath the hanger.  Give it a look and tell me what ya think please.  I have no ideal where to look for info on this.

Sorry but these two images of the mark are the best I could get.  Thanks for any info!!!

Randell

• View Profile
Re: Unidentified Oriental Bell Shaped Gong. Very interesting!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »
This is the other side.  Cut and paste deficient here   ???

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:00 am »
I would suggest, it's Japanese Buddist.

Randell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »
I would suggest, it's Japanese Buddist.

Why would you say that?  I have been studying the images carved into the bell.  The weapons look like Chinese broad swords (Dao), and I think that the bearded man is holding a Chinese pole arm (Guan Dao).  I have been researching this bell everyday since I found that mark on it.  I am obsessed,....HA!! 

This image is supposedly the first general to ever wield this pole arm into battle. 

Here is a refined image of the mark I found.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »
The Greek key pattern. surrounding the upper part of the Bell is a typical japanese pattern often associated with the ming period. and also appears to be top knot's on the human figures.

Randell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »
I was trying to find out info on the head dress but I couldn't.  I thought the ming period referred to China.  I will read some more  ;).  Thanks for the replies D&b, would you happen to know its approximate age?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »
Surpriseingly it was not uncommon for the chinese & japanese to copy each others work. it seem to have a mixture of both. I'am thinking circa 1870's.

Randell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 04:02:13 pm »
Thanks for the input!  :P You wouldnt happen to know who I might be able to contact to find out what the inscription says would ya?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
I'd like to suggest you attempt a 'rubbing' of the inscription ( try various hardnesses of pencils , thickness of paper , etc. ) so that you can get an image that is 'readable' .

Failing all else , you can use a stick/piece of modeling clay & photograph the imprint .

I can't make heads or tails of the images posted ( I'm an old guy & need to magnify images to view them well on my Graphics model CRT ) , regarding the sig .

Randell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:45:53 pm »
I have been studying the sig or mark but a clearer image I cannot supply.  It is small and I believe that it's meant to be seen with the naked eye.  It appears to have been made by the smallest engraving tool the artist had at the time.  I was hoping that a direct interpretation could be made off of the art on the bell and the vague outline of the mark.  I understand the difficulty when reading chinese traditional and japanese.  If all lines are not very distinct then its a bear, but to a familiar eye maybe someone could say " It could mean this", or "it looks like such and such".

My gut feeling tells me "for what thats worth" is that this piece was hand made.  Molded, poured then inscribed.  I think that the battle depicted on it refers to an important battle and that its not just for decoration.  Why else would someone take the time required to make such an impressive piece.  That's my impression but hey, who knows.  Also it has a very clear and long lasting ring when struck.

It seems I have a nack for finding unidentifiable items.  I was the guy who found this metal detecting....

I have shown this to everyone I possibly can, even experts that teach in big universities.  No luck with it either lol.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:59:50 pm »
I was trying to show you a buddist bell my daughter  gave me, I couldn't upload. It's very simple and plain. I would imagine the Japanese would be more ornate. Buddist are about keeping things simple, peace and calm. I haven't studied the topic, but as I said my bell is very plain.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:02:07 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Randell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 06:16:30 am »
Bump just to get attention.   ::)

Still looking for the same answers although I think I am getting closer.