Author Topic: "I Got Me an Ol' Bed Warmer Fer Cheap!!"  (Read 6062 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
"I Got Me an Ol' Bed Warmer Fer Cheap!!"
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:15 am »
 :D Noooo! That is NOT what my husband says about me!  :o 

I picked up this brass bed warmer for $25 tonight (Can't go too wrong for that!) and I'd like to know if you agree with the seller on the age and what the value of it is. It was yet another of those old things that I liked for all of its flaws, and it has plenty of 'em.

Here she be... A lovely old gal from head to toe!

This is the price tag from the antique store where the seller bought it. They dated it to 1885 and had it priced at $229, which seems pretty high compared to most on Ebay. Although perhaps that is reasonable for a retail antique store? Personally, I liked $25 much better!

Up close on the lid, the designs are very worn, but still visible:

Inside there is lots of signs of use, bubbling/scarring on the underside of lid from heat damage and at the front, where hot coals would have shifted forward. Note the rivets at the front where a home made patch was put on:

Here is the old patch job from the exterior. The patch and rivets themselves are worn smooth. I am kinda liking the old patch!

Construction photo, showing welding, rivets, one slotted screw, and a damaged edge where you can see how the brass was bent and molded over the metal rim.

Nice dark patina on the handle, little blemishes all are old and smooth:

The handle seems quite large and substantial. I can't remember if the others I've seen were this heavy-duty or not. I've put two beverages next to the handle for size comparison. Take your pick!

The rim is exposed, this is the worst of the damage, but it is still quite stable. The inner rim looks like it might be iron.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: "I Got Me an Ol' Bed Warmer Fer Cheap!!"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:24:30 am »
I really like it and think it has allot of beautiful character especially the wear from useage, engraving, and that awesome period repair (cool how people used to fix their possesion's instead of throwing them out and buying new ones) and I love the long handle too.
How did these things actually work and were they a fire hazard?
On a cold night like Michigan's having tonight that thing is looking pretty good to me.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:52:26 am »
Thanks Dean! You would put coals inside then move it around inside the sheets to warm up the bed before you climb in. It wasn't something you left in the bed. I have never used one, but I would imagine you would be a little careful not to knock a spark out onto the sheets.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:57:40 am by talesofthesevenseas »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:09:56 am »
Tales how lovely all its dents,bangs & wear I also think make it that much more interesting!!!! I am also in love with your gorgeous white sofa!!! I could only dream in a house full of  3 puppies, and boys ages  6, 22  & 43 it would be trashed in a week!!!lol

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:49 am »
Nice , well-used bedwarmer , tales of .

I think the vintage repairs only add to it's value ; the area of repair at the handle ferrule seems to be newer than the others (to my old eyes) and also appears to be lead ... (perhaps this repair was done after the warmer was retired from it's original purpose ?) .

I think the date on the tag is in the general ballpark , as to it's age (I'd guess mid-ish to late 1800's , without seeing it in person) .

The fact that it's missing some brass detracts from it's value a bit (except for the 'rustic appeal' crowd) .

A fine little buy for your bux !

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
I have too agree on the time frame. age wise.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 05:45:37 pm »
Cool! That is great that it falls in the mid to late 19th century range. I was kinda wondering if were possible it was earlier than the date given with it, but after being so far off on the date of the ladderback rocker I was wondering if I might be wishing it older than it was.

Wendy the saving grace on that couch is that I can unzip the cushions and throw the fabric covers into the washer. Its a good thing since more than once I've come home to find a puddle of cat barf right in the middle of it!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:51:36 pm »
Well, I took a closer look at the exposed frame, I am pretty sure it is iron, it is rusty, solid and what I guess would be called "round stock". I tried taking some closer photos but they didn't show anything that wasn't in the previous photos.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:41:00 pm »
Tales what a beautiful piece of history!  The repairs only add to the story it has to tell.

In my neck of the woods they sell from $30 to $100 - depending on condition, size, etc.

I would bet your would go in towards the $75 - $85 range.

I personally got an electric blanket only to preheat the bed (same concept as these) just a few years ago!  Dean you might want to try that.  Don't think our following generations will see many General Electric or Sunbeam electric blankets in the antique markets that are of much value tho!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

us335682

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 08:12:31 pm »
That is so funny that you made the remark about your electric blanket, my husband and I made the exact same comments last night!!! LOL  I guess even long ago husbands complained of their wives cold feet in bed!!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:18:31 pm »
I currently use a self-cleaning unit for bedwarming purposes ....

although I have to dispose of the "ashes" daily ....

(I'm talking about my CAT here ...)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:56:03 am »
Glad you explained that rj2 or I would have been perplexed a very long time!  My mind was already whirling!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:57 am »
Glad you explained that rj2 or I would have been perplexed a very long time!  My mind was already whirling!

LOL

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 01:49:01 am »
I personally got an electric blanket only to preheat the bed (same concept as these) just a few years ago!  Dean you might want to try that.  Don't think our following generations will see many General Electric or Sunbeam electric blankets in the antique markets that are of much value tho:)

KC, I betcha if Dean checks out enough garage sales he just might find a vintage "bed warmer" that is still in perfect working order. A truly vintage one, not a new "repo" such as........  ;D ;D

(nuff of my humor for today but couldn't resist.)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:50:23 am »
There's actually some rather interesting stuff that followed the bed warmers like mine: