Author Topic: Hello. PLEASE HELP!!  (Read 1983 times)

ReginaS

• View Profile
Hello. PLEASE HELP!!
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:47:02 pm »
Hello:)
I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these. I don't know if they are antique or replica, but they belonged to my grandfather when he was a child. I know NOTHING about furniture or antiques and am just wondering if anyone knows anything about the style, period...... or anything with these 2 pieces of furniture.
In advance, thank you soooo much!!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Hello. PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:39:31 am »
They are both solid wood and will guess they are circa 1930 or 40’ish which would make them “vintage” rather than antique. The 1-drawer stand looks to be walnut but not sure about the drop-leaf table. It may be what is called “fruitwood”. A coat of Old English furniture polish would “spark” them right up.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:54:41 am »
Is the top of the second photo a different wood or just stained different?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ReginaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:56:15 am »
They are both solid wood and will guess they are circa 1930 or 40’ish which would make them “vintage” rather than antique. The 1-drawer stand looks to be walnut but not sure about the drop-leaf table. It may be what is called “fruitwood”. A coat of Old English furniture polish would “spark” them right up.

Thanks for the help ;D
I was afraid to just clean them like the rest of my furiture because I didn't know anything about them. The one in the top photo-I actually have two of them. They were just passed down to me. I think it is made of oak. The wood seems very solid and heavy.

ReginaS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:38 am »
Is the top of the second photo a different wood or just stained different?

The top actually isnt wood at all. Honestly, I am not sure what it is. It seems like granite or something.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:39:14 am »
The one in the top photo-I actually have two of them. They were just passed down to me. I think it is made of oak. The wood seems very solid and heavy.

NAH, I'm sure the drawer front is walnut. I don't see any oak at all. The grain of oak is very telling.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:19:28 am »
The picture of the table had me confused for a few minutes because of the “ghost image” of the left “drop leaf”.

Anyway, I was curious about the top also and first thought it might be marble or something and then decided “NAH”, that would be too heavy because one “slip” and that sucker would come off of there.

Anyway, I decided the top and the “drop leafs” are black lacquered, aka: Japanned or Japanning. 

Just guessing though.  ;) ;)