Author Topic: Vintage Carriage Clock  (Read 4798 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Vintage Carriage Clock
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »
I have a carriage clock which was in my mother's possession.  It was in a room, which was rented by a gentleman, as a sleeping room.  One day he left and never came back, leaving a few clothes and this clock.  It appears to be an exact replica of an antique carriage clock with two differences, it is electric, and has riveted to the back a plaque about 3/4" X 2" with the volts and cycles shown and the inscription:  Hand made case by R. J. Moffatt, Wilmington, Vermont.  It is all very professionally made.  The gold color silk electric cord that came with it was in bad shape, wire showing in two places. Fortunately I found a small amount of this type of cord in an antique store and replaced it.
I have looked around for the name R. J. Moffatt, and closest was the Social Security Death List shows a Robert Moffett b. 1905  d. 1975 and issued in Vermont.

This clock is about 8" high and 4" square, round dome and looks like lathe turned legs. Body of case is formed by four brass panels which fit together perfectly. Still keeps perfect time.  I tried to show pictures but each time the window comes up with:  "photo file is full, try reducing size of photo or call an administrator."    Would anyone know anything about the history behind this clock?  Thanks

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Carriage Clock
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:21:49 pm »
The photo problem is fixed now , please post some images .

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:49:17 am »
O. K,  thanks, I'll try again.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:40:54 am »
Very pretty clock.  I don't think 'carriage clock' is the correct description.  At least not the carriage clocks I'm used to seeing.  I would term it a 'mantle clock'.  Electrified would date it from the 1920's or newer.  The cord looks original which I would guess somewhere in the '20's or '30's.  Personally, I don't too many were made.  Guessing a value is anyones stab.  It has great eye appeal and appears undamaged or missing parts.  Does it keep decent time?  If I'm correct in my date of manufacture, the deco look was in vogue so that's why I don't think many were made.  You might send your digital pics to some genuine vintage/antique clock dealers and see what they say. 

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 08:09:13 am »
Railman, good advice, I hadn't thought of that.  Once in the local paper a large antique mall advertized they had an expert who would give free appraisal, and I took the clock in.  He admitted his knowlege was limited in these copies but he thought $400 would be a fair price.  The clock now belongs to my daughter so I am really more interested in the history of Mr. Moffatt and how many of these he made. So far I haven't come up with much. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:53:21 am »

Moffat was really busy working on electrical items in the 30's and here is an example of work that he did  http://www.adclassix.com/a5/38moffatrangerefrigerator.html and was based in Canada.  Do believe that it is the same because he put some extraordinary clocks in the electric ranges that were Art Deco Style!!!!

In Texas there was one sold at an auction #JOGE-48 but no details on value http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=742130  auction house and number is listed if you want to call and inquire.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 10:19:55 am »
KC - Good info.  I'm wondering if this is the same guy.  The appliance ad shows Moffatt with one "T" while the plaque on my clock (well, my daughters now) is spelled with two.  I'll try to post a picture I downloaded of  a clock called the Cromwellian Eureka made in London in 1906.  I believe this was the very clock that Mr. Moffatt tried to duplicate. A few very minor differences but very close.  I believe IIRC that the Cromwellian was slightly taller and wider.  But according to your info Mr. Moffatt did make other clocks.  And he did live right across the border from Canada.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 11:59:41 am »
Mr moffatt seems to be a man of mystery. I noticed Texas Bid has one at auction. the question is ? is who is Mr Moffatt?

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:19:35 pm »
Yes, I wish I knew.  Interesing to note they refer to this case style as a "lantern clock."  I wish I knew how long it would take for someone to make this type of clock.  I mean the case part.  It would take me a long time.  I wonder how he got that "plaque" made on the back of the clock with his name on it. Someone told me once that it was made as a high school project.  I donbt that very much.  But I made one other mistake in my life so I could be wrong this time.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:40:42 pm »
Don't believe that is a HS project!!!!!!!!!

The Moffat's in Canada also have quite a background in foundry work!  Still think he is somehow related The Moffat Stove Company clan from Canada.  Even found a Richard James but didn't list his professions.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:44:00 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 03:55:21 pm »
Yes, I don't think so either. Two or three years ago I Googled for a Historical Society in the town where Mr. Moffatt apparently lived when he made the clock. Asked if they knew of a Moffatt who made clocks. The gentleman I spoke with wanted pictures of the clock and I sent him four. A few days later a gentleman representing himself as someone who was "very familiar with clocks" e-mailed me and said it was a very crude attempt to duplicate a lantern clock, probably a high school project by someone who wasn't familiar with metal working and he didn't value it too highly.  Then three days later later the first gentleman e-mailed and offered to buy it and asked my lowest dollar.  I thinked him for his offer.  Don't you just love third grade psychology being used on you?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:59:15 pm »
You're kiddin' me?!! That's terrible!  >:(
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 12:38:15 am »
Yet another case of 'familiarity' breeding contempt .

Great little clock , jondar !

Nice true story too .

Still poking around for Mr. Moffett info here .

BTW , I'm wondering if the plaque is stamped , cast or engraved (I can't seem to be able to tell from the image) if you happen to know .
Just one more possible clue to follow .
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:08:38 am by regularjoe2 »

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:17:22 am »
TOTSF and RegularJoe2 - Your kind words are appreciated.  The small plaque on the back of the clock appears stamped.  This, along with the perfect fit of the parts, indicate, to me, that the maker had access to many specialized tools.  I try to imagine how I would go about "hand making" those parts and
the plaque. Everything on it, excluding the motor, is solid brass.  Before I gave it to my daughter, which was my mother's wish, I completely disassembled it and polished the brass and it looked as good as the Cromwellian Eureka in the above picture.  It needs cleaning again, but it's a job.

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:01:44 pm »
there were a lot of these clocks by different makers around, smiths was a very common one.