Author Topic: Another Iran item  (Read 1456 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Another Iran item
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »
This one is my "buy of the week" .

10' 1" X 15' 3" , about 9 or 10 colors , wool on cotton , 5/8" pile , hand knotted 2 ply yarn - excellent condition with NO 'issues' .

I should be ashamed to say I paid 33 cents per square foot , but I'm not , dang it .

I told the seller that my very low offer , prior to seeing the rug in person , was way , way less than he could get for it .... he didn't care & was happy to get some folding green .

Sheesh !!!

:-[ :o ??? ;D

A bit of bad lighting in the images , due to a lazy photographer (me) .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:29:44 pm by regularjoe2 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Another Iran item
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:49 pm »
BEAUTIFUL RegularJoe!! I love oriental rugs. Once you have a good one, you can never go back to the cheapies either. Does yours say how many knots per meter are in it on a label by any chance? The really dense ones are great, if you spill anything it just floats on the surface and nothing can get down into them. Great to walk barefoot on too! Enjoy!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Another Iran item
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:48:44 pm »
Thanks , talesof .

There's a small bit of farsi ink handwriting on the back of this one , but no 'tag' .

I've aways bought / checked out oriental rugs via one method , in regards to knotting quantity .

The method is simply KPSI (Knots Per Square Inch) , which are counted at a few (just to make sure) locations on the back of a carpet ; world-wide standard in the rug trade .
I've seen the full range of carpets from very coarse (VC) 30-54 KPSI to super fine (SF) 515-650 KPSI , through the years & it seems like it's all very subjective to every persons' eye .
I've really liked some cheapos & disliked some museum pieces ... sometimes there's no accounting for taste !

There's been lots of deceptive pratices by manufacturers & sales-people , through the years , as to knot-counts per- square-whatever .
Some folks have advertised astounding densities , counting every twist/braid of double,triple,quad or more yarn as a 'knot' , as well as every single knot tied from the back to the surface of a carpet ... this gets into KPCI (Knots Per Cubic Inch) , which is a whole 'nuther critter .
The numbers can make a persons' head spin .

All that hoo-hah being said  , I fully agree about the lux feel of a good one underfoot !
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:56:40 pm by regularjoe2 »