Author Topic: Tiffany Pear Shaped Crystal Paperweight  (Read 4062 times)

curt5446

• View Profile
Tiffany Pear Shaped Crystal Paperweight
« on: December 13, 2009, 09:18:51 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new here. Found you through a google search looking for info on the piece below. I found this at a thrift shop for $5 but suspect the value is a bit more.

I have thus far not been able to find anything about it anywhere on the web. More than likely due in part to the fact that I don't know what to call it.

I need some help determining value for insurance purposes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Tiffany Pear Shaped Crystal Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:10:06 pm »
I've never seen a Tiffany glass paperweight.  I'm guessing paperweight but I have no point of reference to determine the size.  Cut glass, it appears you got a good deal.  Photographs are misleading.  Are there many scratches or any chips? 

curt5446

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »
Thanks for the help. The size is about 5 inches by 3 inches. It is about 1 and a half inches tall. There is one noticeable scratch but no chips.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »
Here is a Tiffany paperweight in a diamond shape selling for $100 on Ebay. I wasn't able to find one quite like yours, but this might give you a ballpark.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120410896876
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 01:31:52 am »
I tend to be somewhat cynical, but if you only paid $5 for it and you broke it or lost it, you are only out $5.  Why insure it?  As for this being a paperweight, I dunno.  Is there a large flat side for it to sit on, on the side not showing?  If not, I would think this sat in a stand and possibly refracted sunlight into many colors like a prism does.  If you like it, I would just enjoy it for its own beauty and the pleasure it gives you from looking at it.  If you bought it to make money, just list it at $5 and enjoy any profit you make from the sale. :-\

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 02:33:56 am »
I definitely beg to differ with waywardangler. Just because they spent $5 on it doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to insure it for it's true value or have the right to sell it for much more than he paid, for that matter. If I found an amazing treasure at the Goodwill or a yard sale for $5 and it was worth $200,000, does that mean I have no right to insure it if it is lost in a house fire? If it is stolen? When I want to sell it, does that mean I must sell it for $5 or $10 because I only paid a small price for it? If an antique was given to me from a family member for free, does that mean I have no right to insure it because I paid nothing for it and I don't have a right to make any money from it? I don't understand your logic, and I'm really trying...

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:31:45 am »
To Hosman, I guess you did not really read my post.  Please read it again and do not try to read things into it that are not there.  I did not say the owner did not have a right to insure it.  I also did not say the owner could not sell it and make money from it.  If one lists a "valuable" item at $5 and it sells for $200,000, then there is a large profit to enjoy.  If one lists a "valuable" item and it sells for only $10, then there is only a small profit to enjoy.  An items' worth is what a buyer is willing to pay for it at a given point in time, not what a price guide says, not what a neighbor says, and not what someone on the internet says.  It is 'worth' what someone pays for it.  As for insuring it, I only pointed out that monetarily, the owner would have only been out the actual $5 that was paid for it if it was not insured and there was a subsequent loss or damage.  One pays to insure objects based on the perceived value and inherent risk.  The amount one pays depends on many factors including 'value' of the object, area of the country lived in, city lived in, etc.  On many insurance policies this paperweight would be added on a rider and be listed separately.  The extra cost would be above and beyond normal household insurance.  The owner would have to determine if the cost of the rider would be worth the added cost of insurance.  Could the owner obtain another Tiffany paperweight of like style for $5?  Probably not.  Is it worth $100 (with a noticeable scratch on it) like the one on eBay sold for?  Probably not.  Would I insure it?  No, because as I mentioned, I paid $5 for it and I would only be out $5 if lost or stolen.  I am willing to assume that risk.  The owner may not be willing to assume that risk.  It is the owners decision to insure it and it is the insurance companies right to insure it or not and accept an appraisal from a qualified appraiser in that area.  I do not know of any insurance company that will accept an appraisal of an object from an antiques forum where the object was viewed only by pictures on the internet.  Right now, it is a nice piece of scratched glass with the words "Tiffany & Co" engraved in it.  Anyone can get that done on any piece of glass.  Only a qualified appraiser can verify whether or not it is Tiffany and its' insurance value.  What will that cost?  A lot more that the  $5 paid for it.

curt5446

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:56 am »
Thanks for the reply gents however what you've just said is not going to help me with my original question which  is: has anyone seen one of these and how much do I insure it for? Flat tax discussions can be taken elsewhere. Go hijack another post please.

Thanks!

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:24:19 am »
From my previous post..."Only a qualified appraiser can verify whether or not it is Tiffany and its' insurance value."  I would add this must be done by an appraiser with the actual paperweight in his/her possession. I do not know where your 'Flat Tax' comments came from or are about.  Nobody hijacked your post.  If you would have read previous posts, you should have gained something from them. The value of an object is subjective and is based on how many of the same objects have sold.  Evidently not many viewers have seen this exact paperweight so no one is able to give a solid valuation.

curt5446

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »
Based on the fact that I posted this request on a website, and did not seek out a "professional appraiser" I think it's safe to say that I am only after a "ballpark" value.

I have 2 kids and work 55-60 hours a week and quite honestly don't have the time for that. So.....I posted a question here.

Alas, as is usual with these sorts of things instead of the answer I hoped for I end up with bunch of reasons not to ask for help on the web.

Thanks.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »

Alas, as is usual with these sorts of things instead of the answer I hoped for I end up with bunch of reasons not to ask for help on the web.

Thanks.

As close as I can get. (And made in Germany me thinks)

TIFFANY & CO CRYSTAL PRISM PAPERWEIGHT - US $24.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIFFANY-CO-CRYSTAL-PRISM-PAPERWEIGHT_W0QQitemZ220525003472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33585082d0

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:23 pm »
Bit of advise on my part...you got a nice piece for $5.00

Even if the value is $100 it isn't worth paying the amount to insure it - you will pay more than the value in such a short time! Truly doesn't benefit you to insure unless it is worth $$$$$$$$.

Enjoy the beauty.....and if you desire....sell it and make a tidy profit!  Great conversation piece.

I also believe that it had a stand to be placed on in order to enjoy the prismatic beauty!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!