Author Topic: Antique/Vintage Buffet  (Read 4046 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Antique/Vintage Buffet
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:53:37 pm »
So, this has been in my family since at least the 50's, maybe a little longer. I'm not positive on it's age, but I believe it's from the 40's. Most of it is pressboard/plywood type material with only a few parts being solid wood. It is pretty lightweight, not heavy. It has wooden wheels. Original glass. Original finish. Although the finish is in pretty bad shape. But I love how it makes it look older than it actually is.

I know this thing probably isn't worth much, but I was wondering if anyone had a ballpark figure on the value? Most people who look at it tell us about $200. Is that fairly accurate? We'll never sell it, it's such a part of our family history and I love looking at all the family photos from the 50's and it looks just the same. Also, everyone tells us to refinish it and it will look better and be worth more. Should we refinish something that may not be worth very much anyways? I hate refinishing antiques. Thanks for any input!

I just called my mom and she told me that the buffet was given to her mother before my mother was born. My mom was born in 1958. She said that an elderly woman gave it to my grandmother and it was already old and used. So maybe it's from the 30's?

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Antique/Vintage Buffet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:23:38 am »
I like that thingy on the left and the 2 lamps the bestest. Are those old lamps?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:33:53 am »
The lamps on the left and right are Tiffany lamps I just bought from JcPenny. They aren't old at all, but in person they are really amazing. The pictures don't do them justice at all. I got them for some crazy low price on Cyber Monday. Definitely worth it.

The "antique" washbin on the left just makes me upset when I look at it. My mom got it at a garage sale this summer. Of course, the sellers told her they bought it at an antique store awhile back for $300. Which could be the truth, maybe they were jipped too. She bought it for $80. When I went to look at it I told my mom it was a fake, I believe it was made in the 90's. It a very common reproduction. We both decided that it wasn't a huge deal that it's new. We both would have probably paid $80 for something that cool even if it was brand new. Oh well, I guess I can't be there every time she buys something! But she knows now not to buy something old without asking me first. I'm no expert, I'm only 23 but even I can spot completely obvious reproductions.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:41:23 am by hosman321 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:25:52 am »
1920's Side Board. its worth 250.00 Dollars.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »
So, do you think I should just leave it alone and not refinish it? When a piece of furniture isn't worth a fortune, is it better left as-is?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:41 pm »
Personally, I feel that if you remove the finish, you remove part of a piece's history. All the bumps, scuffs and dings are part of what makes it wonderful and old. (You should see my ol' dining room table, LOL!)

Guys, would you say that maybe this is a "dry sink" where a person would wash up with a pitcher and basin, rather than a buffet? And that maybe it could be earlier, pre-dating indoor plumbing? ...or am I totally off base?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:49:20 am »
That does not look like an original finish to me.  Something has been done like a revarnish or a glaze applied?  I do not see any pressboard or plywood but I do see a veneer face on the drawer and solid pine sides.  If it was mine and I wanted to keep this in the house and it did not go with any of my other furniture, then I would refinish it.  This is not a dry sink or commode but a small dining room buffet.  The style is similar to one my grandmother had but hers was in the old dark mahogany finish.  I would guess 20s or 30s.  Any pencil writing on the back that could date it?  Or maybe a paper label or stencil somewhere?  I do not think that any value would be lost in refinishing this particular piece.  It is not very appealing in its present condition.  Maybe it looks better in person.  What is the white stuff on the drawer side?  Old paint or some type of finish?  This is what leads me to think the finish isn't original.  Any chance someone used one of those antique glazing kits from the 60s on it?  If you love it the way it is, then I would just enjoy it as is.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 02:05:03 am »
Your item looks a bit distressed , hosman321 .

I'm also not to sure about the finish being the original one (but what can an on-line image really say ...) , from your images .

I'd suggest you might consider getting a cheapo OTC lead-test kit .
If it shows up lead , consider refinishing it , for the sake of future family members (unless you're planning to pass it on to one you hate) .

Refinishing is quite the chore , though .
I'd say it would increase the value of eye-appeal , for sure .

The only problem is that you may find 2nd rate woods under the current finish , which would be a big bummer .

That's my dos pesos worth .

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 02:57:04 am »
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll try to answer all the questions without missing any of them.

You know, the finish may not be original. I know that it is the same finish (or whatever it is) from the 1950's, but it could have obviously been altered any time before that. I just now realized the back of it is dark, too. I do know that it wipes off very easily with a damp cloth. I made the mistake of wiping it down for the first time with a damp cloth. I didn't realize all that "dirt" on the rag was the finish/glaze. I removed quite a bit before I realized it.

You can see very clear brush strokes from a paint brush all over it. I doubt the manufacturer would be that careless. Looks like someone might have done it afterward to match their decor. You can also see that the knobs are a dark wood where the finish/glaze has rubbed off over time. So, obviously it was dark originally. I'm sorry I said it was the original finish. I guess when I thought it was made in in the 40's and it's been the same since the 50's, I thought it had to be the same as when it was made. Guess you learn somethin' new every day.

I agree that refinishing it would reveal the non-wood surfaces and it would probably look pretty bad. Although the thought of it being dark again sounds nice. All the furniture in my house is dark wood. Not a fan of oak. It seems all the antiques passed down to me are oak or oak colored though, just my luck. I just hate the fact that I'd alter our entire family's memories of it. It just wouldn't be the same buffet if I change it. I guess I'm up in the air about the whole thing.

The sides aren't wood, they are some cheapo material, too. I'm going to try to take more detailed pics of it tonight.

The label was unfortunately lost a few years ago during a move. It was stuck to the back of it.  My mom doesn't remember the date on the label, but it did have all of the information on it. Sad, I hate losing things like that. Now the only writing/label type thing left are some black numbers scribbled on the back. Not a date. Nothing important, probably put on some time over the years.

Thanks for your help with all of my questions. I know this isn't some super rare piece of history or something really valuable. It just means a lot to us. And it's so much easier getting multiple opinions this way rather than hauling it around asking questions or dealing with the antique stores in my area. They aren't very polite around here!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:30:11 am »
So, do you think I should just leave it alone and not refinish it? When a piece of furniture isn't worth a fortune, is it better left as-is?

When I first saw the pictures I figured it had been "refinished" ..... and a poor job at it too boot.

If you look at the end of the drawer or the leg you can see remnants of paint. And one thing for sure, iffen you decide to finish the refinishing job you won't have the trouble n' mess that the other person had.

My opinion, yes, refinish it again. All it needs is to use a good "stripper" to take the current finish and those paint remnants off (with a little pickin n' pryin), a light sanding and then a coat of MinWax "Golden Oak" stain and a top coat of MinWax "PolyCrylic" satin finish applied. And this time, FIRST take all the knobs and pulls off of it and clean them up separately. Then, in my opinion it will be worth D&B's estimate and will look pretty durn purty.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:02:25 am »
I really think I would like it better dark colored, so maybe I will just go for it. If I decide to remove the old stuff, I'll do a lead test first. I never even thought of it. It really does wipe off with water, so hopefully it will be easy to remove and not a big hassle. I'll be sure to ask here for help before I do anything. Or i'll have somebody that knows what they are doing do it. I'd hate to ruin it!

I ruined a wooden magazine rack my uncle made in the 50's. I used a rag that I rinsed it in water but it still had a small amount of soap residue. It must have reacted with the stain/finish he used and turned it from dark brown to milky gray. I feel terrible, this was one of only two things our entire family has left from him. The other being a carved mirror that I also have. He died in his 20's in a terrible accident. I wish I could fix it!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:38:05 am »
Chances are. the milky grey, is a mixture of water & old finish. commonly known as water Damage. in some cases it can be corrected useing wood bleach.

Or it's possible. a stripper like Formby's Furniture. might remove it.except the fact you may have to re do the whole thing.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 05:50:38 pm »

I'll do a lead test first.

You aren't going to eat that old lead paint are you? If lead in paint was dangerous I would have been brain dead 15 years ago.

The Government hasn't banned the use of pure lead fishing sinkers, split-shot, etc. have they?

Ya gota quit paying so much attention to Goverrnment employees who get paid for scaring the bejesus outta you. They will make you hyper and afraid of living and scared of dying.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »
Since it has been altered, I think a nice new finish would (guilt free and would look great
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:19 am »
I'll do a lead test first.

You aren't going to eat that old lead paint are you? If lead in paint was dangerous I would have been brain dead 15 years ago.

The Government hasn't banned the use of pure lead fishing sinkers, split-shot, etc. have they?

Ya gota quit paying so much attention to Goverrnment employees who get paid for scaring the bejesus outta you. They will make you hyper and afraid of living and scared of dying.

Well, I had never even thought of it because I usually don't think about those things. But someone further up on this thread recommended it for future generations. Which is a good idea. I watch Forensic Files, I've seen babies and children eat lead paints and finishes and they have died of lead poisoning. Plus, it's just a cheapo little test that takes a second, it doesn't hurt to do it. If it was some huge expensive task that took a huge amount of time to complete, I'd forget it.

I'm with you on the whole government thing. Trust me, I don't trust them for one second. I've seen what they can do. I'm a witness and living proof. But of course, I'll never be able to say anything about it. But, that's a completely different subject.

Thank you